Member Bios - tell us about yourself

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Re: Member Bios - tell us about yourself

Postby Crunk » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:34 am

Just a quick question, as I do not belong to any homebrew clubs, I have found brewing peaks my interest, and have dedicated myself to achieving that elusive flavor I desire, at whatever the cost may be.

Do you fellow brewers have a club formed, compete as a club, or have plans on forming a team? I know I have found this group after most of the work has been done, all I have read from your trials and research just makes sense to me, and intrigues me to share all I learn with this group. If there is a team or one planned for the future I would definitely be interested in being part of the collaboration of open minded brewers such as yourselves.

My benefit is I am new to brewing, so I don't have to unlearn old brewing processes and learn LODO brewing.

I am 47 years old, married to my wife for 29 years, 20 years of military service, currently I work for a plumbing supply warehouse, monday thru Friday, so my brewdays are on the weekends. Been here for 7 years plan on finishing out 20 years here, then maybe opening a small brewpub to keep me active in retirement. And maybe leave a small legacy for my children, all 3 grown and out of the house, and my 6 grandchildren.

I live in South central pennsylvania, born and raised here, spent a few years in Stuttgart Germany while in the military, a country i find to be beautiful, and rich in brewing heritage.

I have showed my children how to brew and my grandchildren have been present and included in the process also, although their time is much more limited than mine at the time.

My wife claimed the brewing process smelled of wet dog, and it did not interest her as much, UNTIL I used saran wrap to do a non permanent LODO test while brewing one day, and she very much enjoyed it, as what we call a beautiful aroma, was not permeating my brewery shed. That is the other reason behind me switching to permanent LODO brewing.
Striving to brew better beer every time
seanyfo

Postby seanyfo » Sat May 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Gruß aus Schottland!

I'm Sean and have been obsessed with Deutsche Braukultur since 2005.

All happened unexpectedly with a random summer trip to Germany with one of my uni mates. All we had booked was a flight to Dusseldorf and a flight home 2 weeks later from Munich. I was little prepared for the amazing beer discoveries we were to experience in those 2 weeks. Before that trip my idea of good beer was Warsteiner (actually had some kind of character compared to the local Tennents lager). Our trip took us from Dusseldorf to Koeln to Frankfurt to Stuttgart to Munich. I was amazed by not only the regional varieties in beer but as Michael Jackson, the late beer hunter, described German beer culture as almost a religious phenomenon. I love the way beer in intertwined with the culture!

I think I've been to Germany on beerhunts every year since then. Visiting Dusseldorf, Koeln, Berlin, Hamburg, Munich and all over Bayern including Bamberg/Regensburg/Andechs/Kelheim/Aying and others which escape me at the moment. Still need to get to Freising, Buttenheim and more of Franconia in search of Zoigl!

My next trip is in October for a few days which will include Munich and a day trip to Salzburg for Augustiner Kloster Muelln (3rd visit) and another day trip yet to be decided.

I've only been homebrewing for 3 months. Small stovetop batches using a BIAB system. Good fermentation control with dedicated fridge with thermostat control. I'm starting to get more into the details with Mash pH and water chemistry but have some way to go before getting into LODO brewing. Currently trying to utilise a hochkurz infusion mash schedule but my temperature control methods need to be better in that regard. It's certainly an addictive hobby.

Favourite beers include;

Altbier - Im Fuchschen or Schumacher 1838er
Dunkel - Weltenburg Barock Dunkel
Helles - Weltenburg Barock Hell
Hefeweizen - Brauerei Gutmann
Maerzen - Weltenburg Anno 1050
Rauchbier - Schlenkerla Maerzen
Weizenbock - Mahr's Der Weissebock
Doppelbock - Weihenstephaner Korbinian

Loads more to be honest. I could go on and on. I'd love to be able to consistently created beers in these styles that came anywhere close to the real thing!

Looking foward to learning a lot more on this forum!

Prosit!
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Sat May 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Welcome
Striving to brew better beer every time
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Sun May 21, 2017 5:32 am

Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed May 24, 2017 9:27 am

Welcome!
- The best do the basics better -
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Wed May 24, 2017 12:51 pm

You've found the right place !
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed May 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Ja Servus! Griassdi!
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
jdauria61

Postby jdauria61 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:28 am

Hi everyone! Thanks for the add!

I'm Joe. Been brewing for 10 years not counting a short stint in the 90's with extract kits. Live just south of Boston, Mass.

About three years ago I gave up on the two cooler fly sparge method of brewing for the simplicity of Brew in a Bag. After only doing 2 true lagers up until two years ago, I finally got bit by the lager bug. I made a Schwarzbier that did very well in comps, it scored a 40 in NHC finals last year but did not place. I continue to tweak that beer and have made it multiple times since. Then this year I decided was going to be the year of the lager. Along with my Schwarzbier, I have made three Helles, a German Pils and a Festbier so far this year, along with a few ales here and there. I have also just recently delved in to the low oxygen brewing material too, and brewed my most recently Helles with the LoDo method.

So to further improve my skills with lagers, I thought what better place then the German Brewing group!
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:37 pm

Welcome!
- The best do the basics better -
Hop

Postby Hop » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:24 am

Howdy! I've been brewing for 15 years or so. I've slowly but surely shifted toward primarily brewing German lagers. While I don't do LoDo yet, I do try to minimize aeration at all steps of the process.

I used to visit here often and never signed up, but finally registered because I think it's a shame that participation here has gone down so much since the LoDo forums were made.