Member Bios - tell us about yourself

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

Brandon
German Brewing

Re: Member Bios - tell us about yourself

Postby Brandon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:54 pm

Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer

Postby bjanat » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:40 am

Never got around to writing here. I'm Bjarte, from Norway, 41 years, been brewing for 3. My setup is simple, aluminum kettle and BIAB, but I can borrow a 50 and 10L Speidel from work (activity group). Temp-controlled fridge, but no kegs yet.

Enjoy Belgian, English and German traditions, and have started playing with sours, but my desert island beer would be a pilsner. I like both Milk the Funk for the variety of information and this group for the dedication to perfectionism, and both groups are science-oriented. I got into this group after reading the Lodo paper, and it's great how much work was put into it. It does seem like a revelation that could lift my brewing up from stagnation, and although I've made the helles recipe twice, I need to improve my equipment and process to get things right, like a DO meter and a proper keg setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kit_B
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Kit_B » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:14 pm

After buying the DO meter & using it several times...
If you can borrow or rent one, I would recommend that, instead.
It's a lot of money, for a tool that you will probably not use as often, once your system & processes are nailed down.
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Wow members now from Finland, Norway, France and Australia.. glad to see this revolution, or re-evolution if you like, is spreading !
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:16 pm

TheHairyHop

Postby TheHairyHop » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:19 pm

Hello everyone. I've recently joined after following the homebrewtalk thread for a few months. My name is Marco. I'm 26 and currently in graduate school. I come from a science and engineering background, and I enjoy some of the more methodical approaches that seems to permeate this site a bit more thoroughly than others. I hope to contribute to discussions and make some friends!
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:50 am

Welcome Marco!
With your science and engineering you will fit in well here.
TheHairyHop

Postby TheHairyHop » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm

Thank you for the welcome. My current focus is on glycerol production and hop flavor, such as in the NEIPA style, but my favorite all time styles are dunkels and dopplebocks. I will certainly be changing my system to be LODO in the near future, but I've already started emphasizing low oxygen exposure after the boil in order to preserve hop flavor
dilluh98

Postby dilluh98 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:08 am

Hi all. My name is Tony from Austin, TX. I've been brewing for 2 years now focused primarily on English bitters and Belgian saison. I have brewed about 50 batches but I still bottle exclusively (glutton for punishment, I guess). I'd love to get into lager brewing as soon as I can get into kegging. None of the breweries around here has IT but one in particular blows everyone else out of the water regarding lager and if they are anywhere even close to IT, and I could approach IT myself, I'd happily only drink lagers the rest of my life. I'm a chemistry professor by trade and this forum appeals to my scientist side of inquiry, testing and sharing of information.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:40 am

Cool, welcome! What place is that by chance?

-German Brewing Founder- :tu