Member Bios - tell us about yourself

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Member Bios - tell us about yourself

Postby mchrispen » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Holler if you do - will have my phone and messenger about me. Would be nice to meet. I should have some mead about me... not taking any beer to speak of to the conference.
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:00 pm

I will be in the area for a week after NHC. Any recommendations? Not looking for beer-related. Must see sights and restaurants mostly (yes we know about the DC area sights but totally clueless about "off the beaten path sites"
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:44 pm

Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:44 am

Hi Brandon,
Sorry to take a while to respond but going to B with my wife, so I needed to consult. All my evenings are tied up with NHC events until Saturday, and then Sunday we are to celebrate her B.day. If we stay longer I will let you know but honestly, best option would be Friday or Saturday afternoon around the conference (so you do not need to buy a pass).
Cheers,
narcout

Postby narcout » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:26 pm

lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:31 pm

See ya.
I am with the Austin Zealots. Ricardo is my name.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:57 am

Taswegian

Postby Taswegian » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:51 pm

Hello. Thanks for creating this great site and especially to those who put in the effort to create the LoDO techniques. It was reading the LoDO paper on another forum that lead me to this one. I tried out LoDO a few days after reading the paper (nearly three weeks ago) - fortunately it was easy for me to incorporate, as I'd just changed to no-sparge anyway. I have a LoDO pils lagering (based off Brandon's baseline recipe), and a LoDO Belgian pale ale nearly ready to go. My impression so far (from sneaky early samples) is that there is absolutely no doubting that a difference exists compared with regular brewing (no need for triangle testing) - I know what is meant by fresh, lingering malt. I'm looking forward to comparing LoDO on other styles, especially Best Bitters (one of my favourite styles) and even the possibility of blending LoDO and non-LoDO to achieve a particular taste profile (I think there are some flavours from oxidation that I quite like as well as the nice, fresh non-oxidised flavours). It's exciting to have something new in brewing to play around with. LoDO batches three and four were brewed yesterday (dunkel and a Belgian blond), so there should be plenty of oxygen free beer in the pipeline shortly!
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Member Bios - tell us about yourself

Postby Big Monk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:29 pm

I am a repeat member. My name is Derek.

I am an Electrical Design Engineer. I mostly deal with large motors, pumps, protective relaying, etc.

I've been brewing for around 2 years. Really looking to get into Low O2 brewing. I am a big fan of Belgian Trappist beers, Westmalle in particular, and am developing an appreciation for lagers as well. I'm really enjoying the fresh Weihenstephaner and Ayinger stuff I've been getting recently. I am also a big Pale Ale drinker as well as Porter, Stout, Brown Ale, RIS and Barleywine as well.

I'm working on a 2 vessel system right now to replace my small batch cooler batch sparge system.

I'm learning quite a bit going over the forum posts since the breakthrough in the beginning of the year and hope to do my first mini-mashes in July with a full Low O2 Tripel by September.

Looking forward to pitching in if I can and just reading some good info in general.
Last edited by Big Monk on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com