Finally brewed that lager

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:49 pm

Aside from tradition, higher extract, lowering pH, more melanoidin development, more DMS removal and removing break material, what are the benefits to a decoction with imported German malts?
- The best do the basics better -
Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: Finally brewed that lager

Postby Bryan R » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:45 pm

Not much.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Like Bryan, I won't knock anybody who chooses to do a decoction mash. I've done dozens of them myself.

Ultimately, it's all about the brewing experience you want to have, and the beer you want make. Are you making the kind of beer you want with a decoction mash? If you are, then it's the right way to go.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:00 pm

I am only decocting the styles I feel benefit from a decoction at this point.

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:34 pm

What styles do you still decoct?
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Hefeweizens and Dunkels.

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Interesting, I understand the hefe, but munich (assuming you use it as your base) tends to be highly modified already. What do you like about a decoction for the Dunkel vs an infusion/step hockurz?
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:40 pm

That Munich begs to be worked over real good. :) I would use a higher pima base though. Get some good melanoidians going with some longer boil times.

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:16 pm

The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:49 am

Think more average kolbach for the entire grist; the modification of the individual grains themselves is already set. Adding chit malt lowers the average kolbach for the mash, offering some lower modified malts to offset the foam-positive proteins that will be broken down in the highly modified malts during the extended protein rest of a decoction hochurz mash.

My understanding is that there are three main profiles that are considered a hochurz mash, but use different processes to arrive at the temperature rests. If you decoct, then you dough-in at a protein rest (54C), then use a decoction to raise to beta (62C), then use a decoction to raise to alpha (70C). This results in a very long protein rest. If you direct fire or infuse, then you dough-in at beta (62C), then heat (or infuse with hot water) to alpha (70C). This eliminates the protein rest and is good for highly modified malts. This can also be done using a single decoction, where you dough-in at beta and use the single decoction to raise to alpha. Again, this allows the brewer to eliminate the protein rest and is good for highly modified malts. There is also the direct-fire, hochurz variation where you dough-in at protein rest and hold there as long as your malts dictate, then begin heating to the beta rest. This minimizes the protein rest (and largely avoids dough-balls), yet allows you do accommodate for batches with slightly lower kolbach values. All of these are considered hochurz mashes, yes?

The point was, if you go the double decoction route (extended protein rest), then there should be some advantage to using chit malt. If you direct fire and/or eliminate the protein rest, then there is no advantage to using chit malt.