Victory Brewing Processes

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

Brody
Assistant Brewer

Re: Victory Brewing Processes

Postby Brody » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:07 am

This quote?

"Both our Downingtown and Parkesburg mills employ a technology that softens and removes most, if not all, of the intact barley husk before the kernel inside is ground. Limiting the amount of husk in the ground malt produces a sweeter and less tannic wort and allows our brewmasters to introduce more pleasing bitter qualities through hop additions later in the brew."

Of course I can be mistaken but I read that as their process (whatever it may be) is removing the husk beforehand. Reminded me of the dehusking of something like carafa special. How do we know they don't have a mash filter?
Kit_B
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Kit_B » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:45 am

I don't know for certain...
But, I have serious doubts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej2Hf1ZJ12U
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:03 am

I guess what I'm struggling with is how you would interpret "removes most, if not all, of the intact barley husk" as anything other than removing most of the husk? Wet milling doesn't remove husk, does it? Sounds like they dehusk, then wet mill. Maybe I'll try to get down their one day, video was 4 years old, they've done a lot of growing since so it's possible the equipment changed as well.

But anyway, Victory aside, the point was that I thought the whole concept of removing some of the husk to improve the wort was interesting. But it sounds like it's not really doable without some complex equipment - something to remove the husks and a way to lauter?
Kit_B
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Kit_B » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:40 am

Keep in mind that 'Removed' & 'Discarded' are two different words.
In this particular case...
When they say the process removes most of the husk material, they are saying that the wet mill is able to essentially dehusk the kernel, before crushing.
This keeps the husk more intact, to mitigate the tannin that you would normally extract from a husk that has been beaten & torn apart.
They are not saying anything about the husks being discarded.
They only say that the intact barley husk is removed from the kernel, before grinding.
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:48 pm

"Removed before grinding" and "limit the amount of husk in the ground malt" are the key words.

I don't know how better to explain it. Noonan has a nice litte diagram of how a 6 roller mill works. Basically, the first rolls are set wide, and knock the husk off. The husk is then seperated so it doesn't get damaged further, then the grits get passed through 2 more sets of progressively tighter rolls. The multiple sets of rollers allow a very tight, even crush, while also limiting the amount of damage to the husk and the amount of fine flour/dust produced, so the end product is simultaneously excellent efficiency and fast lautering due to the preserved husk and limited flour.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:10 pm

Ahh, gotcha. So this is similar to the grain conditioning in your write up? Essentially spraying a small amount of water on the grain before milling with the goal to reduce tannins and improve efficiency/lautering?
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:40 pm

I think when they wet mill the grain is actually wet, is that right, Roach? Whereas when you condition the grain, you spray it, let the water kind of soak in, and the grain feels basically dry when you mill it.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:52 pm

- The best do the basics better -
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:26 pm

I believe that they're using a multi-roller mill. This could also be combined with conditioning or a wet mill.

Conditioning is misting the grain with a small amount of water, usually something around 2% by weight, to make the husk more soft and pliable.

Wet milling is just what it sounds like- the grain is milled in a slurry state with the mash liquor.

Both kind of accomplish the same thing, protecting the husk from getting shredded.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:23 pm

Are you sure they attended all the lectures in Weihenstephan? To me it looks like they missed some ;)
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com