Victory Brewing Processes

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

Brody
Assistant Brewer

Victory Brewing Processes

Postby Brody » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:37 am

So we've talked about Victory Brewing Company a bit before and the consensus seemed to be that the Prima Pils was too hoppy for everyone's taste (and surprisingly, given that I love hop forward APA, I agree). But, despite that, given that they've studied at Weihenstephan, decoct, step mash, use German grains etc it's safe to say they probably know a lot about German brewing methods.

I came across a few things on their website:

1) They brew only with whole flower hops (and apparently 45 different yeast strains...) anyone ever tried whole flower and noticed a different character?

2) But what really caught me was following malt statements on their site -

"German malts naturally tend to contain less tannins, which can impart an unappealing dry and bitter-like astringency in the brew."

"Both our Downingtown and Parkesburg mills employ a technology that softens and removes most, if not all, of the intact barley husk before the kernel inside is ground. Limiting the amount of husk in the ground malt produces a sweeter and less tannic wort and allows our brewmasters to introduce more pleasing bitter qualities through hop additions later in the brew."

I seem to remember Bryan mentioning this before, makes sense given how much smoother Carafa Special, Black Prinz, & Midnight Wheat are than normal dark malts... but haven't heard much about this being used on base malt.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: Victory Brewing Processes

Postby Bryan R » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:59 pm

It's called Endosperm mashing. However you must also have a mash filter to squeeze the mash since you don't have husks for lautering.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
KaiserRidge

Postby KaiserRidge » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:54 am

Or BIAB and squeeze you bag. I'm talking about home brewers of course.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:16 am

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:03 pm

"mills employ a technology that softens and removes most, if not all, of the intact barley husk before the kernel inside is ground."

Malt conditioning, wet milling, or multiple sets of rollers and sieves to prevent the husk from getting shredded in the tight rollers. Or all of the above.

If you've never milled conditioned grain, it's shocking how much of a difference it makes. Here's a half-assed analysis I did - http://www.roachbrau.com/crush-analysis/

Sounds like a bunch of marketing fluff to me.
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:37 am

Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:35 pm

Sounded to me like it's referencing how they are removing the husk (leaving just the bran, endosperm & germ) - malt conditioning being a different process they do too.
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Right. I was just responding to Roachbrau about it. It's an amazingly easy thing to do.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:43 pm

Yea, definitely on my to-do list when I get a mill.
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:24 pm

I'm telling ya, go back and read the quote I pulled again. Nowhere does it mention anywhere that the husks are mashed separately, nor do they have a mash filter. Their mills have multiple roller sets to prevent the husks from being ground up, that's all.