Let the Spunding Begin!

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

mpietropaoli

Re: Let the Spunding Begin!

Postby mpietropaoli » Mon May 09, 2016 10:31 am

There's no easy way out. There's no shortcut home.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Mon May 09, 2016 11:18 am

I would leave it be and chalk it up to learning. It will still be better than doing nothing at all(meaning not doing any Low O2 processes)

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
mpietropaoli

Postby mpietropaoli » Tue May 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Hope I'm not obsessing over this, but would it be worthwhile to add some dissolved (in pre-boiled water) DME and some harvested yeast to the kegs? One has 4-ish PSI, but the other two are still deadski.

We would need to pull off some volume out of the kegs, as well as open them to add the yeast/speise.
There's no easy way out. There's no shortcut home.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Tue May 10, 2016 3:22 pm

Taste it. If it amazing, then protect it. If it's just better than average, then drink it up and learn from the experience.
- The best do the basics better -
Das alte

Postby Das alte » Fri May 20, 2016 11:31 pm

What is the reasoning behind using a spunding valve on a keg? Is the valve being used to determine when pressure has developed? Is the keg being used as a settling tank?
Looking at the transfer system, worrying about the O in CO2 is not an issue. It may be better to get rid of the rubber stopper and use a couple of fittings and O-rings to tighten up the fermenter and attach the spunding valve on to the blow off port after the beer slows down. If the fermenter cannot handle a couple of pounds of pressure, it may be good to put one on the Christmas list.
Take this for what it is worth. I have a brewery vacuum system. I only use it when the beer is yeast cloudy or to reduce pressure in kegs after seating the lid with high pressure CO2, and to remove air from within transfer lines. When the transfer valve is opened CO2 in solution boils out of the beer while the keg is in partial vacuum. I inject about a pound to three pounds of pressure into the dome to overcome pressure drop through the lines and locks and to reduce foaming during transfer. I fill kegs through the keg outlet through a lock. The gas in spud is kept open by snapping a lock on it. A tube is fastened onto the gas in lock and the open end of the tube is placed into a jug of water. When bubbles cease, the keg is full. There should be no need to prime, krausen or artificially carb when all of the ducks line up. They are blow out patches. However, they do allow for beer to be pounded down without waiting for it to age or develop. If diacetyl voodoo is believed to occur in every batch of Lager and the rest is being employed, it may be something to stop doing. When diacetyl forms, the brewing process has failed. The rest is another blow out patch which only serves to beat the snot out of yeast, diacetyl will return later on. The rest causes more issues than what it is worth.
What does the acronym FFT stand for? I had a brewers sugar reduction tester until it blew up. I know that there are a clump of numbers that are as close as horseshoes and hand grenades in accuracy. Is FFT a device which determines residual sugar?
ajk

Postby ajk » Sat May 21, 2016 7:43 am

Every joint and every length of plastic tubing is an opportunity for O₂ ingress. Also, when filling a keg and venting the air through the gas post, the gas doesn't just flow out in an orderly fashion—room air is flowing in, too, albeit very slowly. Spunding allows the yeast, an excellent oxygen scavenger, to stay active and remove whatever O₂ was introduced.

I wouldn't recommend putting a fermentor under pressure without implementing safeguards against autolysis. Whenever I've done it, off flavors have resulted.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sat May 21, 2016 9:06 am

- The best do the basics better -