Welcome to German Brewing

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Welcome to German Brewing

Postby Roachbrau » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Haha all you Germans on here, and I'm the crazy Irishman constantly ranting and raving... (I actually have a good percentage of German on my mother's side, but majority Irish on both.)

I'm Steve, and I like beer. I've got a little blog where I post yeast strain comparisons, recipes and techniques. That was until Brandon, Bryan, and Kit invited me to join their quest to uncover the secret of the authentic German lager character, what we refer to as "IT."

Anyway, welcome everyone, I hope we can make this into a fine little community. Prost!
BryanH

Postby BryanH » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:36 am

Hey, thanks for starting this forum. While I brew a lot of UK style ales I do enjoy drinking and brewing German beers.

Cheers,

Bryan
unionrdr

Postby unionrdr » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:34 am

@ roachbrau-No, I live in Sheffield Village, OH now. Brewing Burtons in sheffield is a sort of cool. But the German side of me wants to brew more German beers. Just don't have the temp control for lagers yet. so winter brewing with WL029 is as far as I get for my hybrid lagers. It allows me to experiment with lager flavors to get the ones from the 50's to mid-60's. But I'd love to get down home again, when weather & car permit. Take some home brews & hunt again...I still remember fishing in the Little Kanawha river like my dad did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Kanawha_River Braxton county & Saltlick Creek factor heavilly in my ancestry.
brewcrew7

Postby brewcrew7 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:02 pm

Thank you for kickstarting what I hope will be a productive and friendly community! I first started my german beer brewing when I decided to hold an annual Oktoberfest party for friends and family. I usually try to have at least 3 beers on tap which have included Oktoberfest, Helles, Hefeweizen, and Kolsch. Fresh pretzels (Kai Troester's recipe) are made the morning of and they really do good to help soak up the sweat of preparation and the refreshing beer later. This past September was our fourth year and all our guests bring German and/or fall-inspired dishes to pass. So far everyone has been pleased with the beer but I am my toughest critic. I hope to learn a lot and share my experiences with all of you!

Brad
MaineBrewer

Postby MaineBrewer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:49 pm

New to the forum.
I enjoy German beer as much as everyone here. Been really trying to nail down a couple good homebrews and just started lagering.

I used to live in Georgia, so my brewing season was quite limited to the temps (no fridge controls, just stored it in my above-ground-cave). But I had some really good results according to some associates. Now, living in Maine, I'm hoping my lager-season will be extended.

I enjoy a good helles, schwarzbier, and Marzen. I've never been really into the bigger bocks, but I wouldn't mind making a Maibock/Helles Bock.
I hope to get some good advice and, if possible, share what I've experienced.

I have Ancestral Germanic blood - so there is a bit of nostalgia, but mostly it's that taste for good beer.

Oh yeah - I make pretzels and those always come out good.