A note of thanks...

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

A note of thanks...

Postby mchrispen » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for doing all this work. In a world of skeptical home brewers, really appreciate your hard work, incredible attention to detail, and engineering/programming, etc. - as well as reference documentation. This is going to be someone's Brewing master thesis soon - hope you get some credit for it!

I am finally getting close to dialing everything in on the Brew-Magic, and this last lager is easily the best I have ever brewed. Still some distance to get consistency on the Grain Father - even with a full conversion to a circulated BIAB setup, but that will come with repetition.

Changes I have made to the Brew-Magic base system: Added a mash return site glass, which really shows off the clarity and color during the mash, changed all of my gaskets to silicon which don't last as long, but seem to seal better than the buna (fewer leaks), I have used loc-line for a while, but now have a compression seal to the mash tun inlet, so NO loose seal to bring in O2, new sanitary ball valves inline for finer flow controls, and finally both stainless immersion and stainless counterflow chillers.

Working to rebuild my pump / chill stand which has a few issues, namely need to move it fully to TC to have better sealing and less turbulence. Also looking to use vacuum to gently pull hot liquor into the MLT, so need to find someway to seal the lid to the MLT. The lid is modified for CIP, so I can use that fitting and a ShopVac. I think that will remove some of the DO uptake in grain in, and leave the pump out of the picture until recirculation, as well as ensuring all plumbing is fully primed.

Anyway - progress! Looking forward to playing with Saurgut, malt blending and the new spreadsheet! Time to refine recipes!

Cheers, Matt
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Re: A note of thanks...

Postby Big Monk » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:32 pm

Let us know what you think of the sheet.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Thanks for being such a positive voice and early adopter, Matt. I'm really glad to hear about your recent successes!
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:54 pm

Thank you for the positive attitude and open mindedness towards trying new methods. I've always enjoyed our conversations!
- The best do the basics better -
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Cheers.

However, it must be noted that 99% of all this is pretty much written down in Kunze and Narziss. What many of us tried to is to adapt it from the very large outfits to the home brew scale.

The Kudos really belongs to these guys.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:05 pm

Glad you are seeing results! Let me know if you need any help with gut.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:06 pm

-German Brewing Founder- :tu