Weihenstephan tips

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Weihenstephan tips

Postby lupulus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:55 am

Hi all,
As I mentioned yesterday, i was able to speak for a short while with Prof Narziss and one of the Weihenstephan students at Braukunst Live.
I was able to pass the questions from Bryan but not the ones from Abbey. I got the email of the student, Alex Bock, so I will pass the questions from Abbey and others every two weeks. I do not want to overwhelm him, so will send little at a time and see if he is ok with helping us out.

Ref Bryan's questions on recipe for Weihenstephaner Original, the Weihenstephan student said that his understanding is that the color adjustment of the Helles is just with Carahell at about 8%, in other words, Pils 92% and Carahell 8%. Yes, I think it is too high, but we have tried so many things, why not this one. For Weizen, it is about 3% Carahell, and the rest Wheat and Pils in a 60/40 ratio (take a bit of both to enter the 3%). Both Weihenstephan and an excellent new weissbier brewery, Mathässerbräu were animate to state that the key to weissbier is open fermentation.

I asked Narziss about mash pH and the discrepancy with Künze. Narziss said that 5.4 is a compromise and what they prefer. At 5.4, per Narziss one gets better alpha amylase activity, more foam positive proteins, higher FAN concentration, and faster lautering (but he said that the difference with 5.2 is likely to be small). He also mentions that with munich malt, it is better to do a short protein rest to ensure there is enough FAN during the fermentation.

A lot of work coming up this next week, so I will be MIA.

Cheers
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Re: Weihenstephan tips

Postby wobdee » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:33 am

That's awesome Lupulus, thanks. WO is awesome, one of my favorites. Once I did try a Helles with 10% carahell, was too sweet honey like for me but I also only hopped it to 15 or 16 IBU. Maybe that 8% is ok at a higher 20 IBU of WO and balances out the sweetness?

Maybe next ask him about the hopping schedule of WO?
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:39 am

Any chance that is reversed? 3% CH for helles, 8% for weizen?
- The best do the basics better -
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:45 am

Why not just ask him straight up about sulfites? Are they simply considered a salt per the RHG? What instruction is given on them at Weihenstephan? Do they use them anywhere in the brewery, e.g., treating raw water or flushing transfer lines? Do they generate them through source waters? Do they monitor levels post-fermentation? Are they a viable alternative to expensive systems for homebrewers and small craft breweries?
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:25 am

I wonder about filtration, though. It strips some flavor so maybe they have to overload a bit to take that into account. 8% carahell might taste about right post-filtration, but may be too sweet for us if we don't filter.

That aside, I wonder what color their pilsner malt is kilned to ;)
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Postby Natebriscoe » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:33 am

I believe that at their scale 8% cara may not be to much. Remember there efficiency is through the roof and as homebrewer's not so much. I have heard of other big breweries talk of having to raise their specialty malts drastically when moving to a new bigger system.
I feel like flavor extraction my not be very linear with efficiency.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Weihenstephan tips

Postby Bryan R » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:09 am

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:24 am

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Weihenstephan tips

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:47 am

Yeah, I'd love to know their pima spec. May have to start calling it hema (helles malt).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Owenbräu on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:48 am