New lager session Saturday

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Re: New lager session Saturday

Postby Crunk » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Wort wizard is the venturi tube set up, I will have to research it Alittle more before making a purchase of any parts, after my brew day yesterday I have been going over the system and the session, to decipher everything that needs adjusted, corrected, or eliminated.

I can see and.smell from samples there is a huge difference and improvement in the quality of the wort since adapting to low oxygen brewing. My system isn't completed yet, as I set up temporary steps to control ingress, after seeing the measurable difference and quality improvement I am engineering the system changes as we speak. I created a todo list I'm starting at the top, and will have it completed and the system leak tested before I brew again. I'm convinced lodo is the only way, any other way, is a waste of time, perfectly good ingredience, propane, and a finished product that could be enjoyed to the fullest.
Striving to brew better beer every time
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:06 pm

I think I'm going to purchase this setup, as I have the blichmann beer gun and the blichmann quick carb, and I'm very happy with their products so far.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/pro ... nation-kit
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:13 pm

It's quite pricey when you consider the other options. I am currently working on in-line dosage of yeast as well. The idea being that the 5C water is mixed with yeast, then mixed with O2 before it hits the fermenter in one go.

This is WIP though. Some details *may* one day surface once I am happy with it (or just forget the idea because it failed miserably)

IMG_1191.JPG
In-line aeration before fermenter + fitted flow meter.
IMG_1191.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 4028 times
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:43 pm

2 litre syringe system, yeast IV, just spit balling here, I'm thinking of a system for adding hops without air ingress also, similarly with the hop shots, my question is since I have never used anything but pellets, are the hop shots as good better or substandard, anyone have input.

I'm sure it has pros and cons
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:03 pm

dry-hopping isn't usually practiced in 'classic german brewing'. However, I've seen many Brits do this during fermentation. That takes care of any O2 intake.
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:27 pm

The system I have been thinking about to add hops to the boil without ingress, I would never dry hop one of thsee style beers, unless it was a test of some sort.

I'm working up my alterations for my system that I can seal up completely from start to finish on brewday. Grain in the mash tun sealed and then purged of o2, water in the boil kettle also sealed and purged of o2 yeast starter injection system hop addition system the whole gambit.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:26 am

One can also overdo it.

You have a lot of air evacuation during boil.

If you want to fiddle with boil systems, then have a look in the relevant section in kunze. Myself, i am quite impressed with the schoko system from Kaspar Schulz.

You can get a big improvement in boil systems choosing the right vessel shape.
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:57 am

As soon as my book arrives, I have not heard anything about it since my order confirmation.