New lager session Saturday

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Re: New lager session Saturday

Postby Owenbräu » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Nice work!
- The best do the basics better -
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:15 pm

The bug I had for brewing has now turned into a monster, the visual efficiency of the system without doing any calculations is remarkable, the boil off, steam loss, etc.. I can't believe it, and frankly, I wouldn't, if I had not seen it with my own eyes. I have been taking thorough notes from the start. More to follow.
Striving to brew better beer every time
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Taste is way better, I need adjust my water now, my system isn't loosing as it was before I missed my number Alittle, so this batch will be drinkable but a test and learning batch for sure, but it seems to like it will be my best batch yet. The pH stayed in line the entire time I had to do no additions whatsoever
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:46 pm

After crunching my numbers, I have established points of efficiency concerns that I will address immediately, along with more adjustments that I would like to make to the system, to improve on the limitations of air ingress.

I took the time compare the flavors of what I'm looking for, and what I currently drink, the similarity is incredibly closers to what I'm trying to achieve.

The wort going to the fermentor was considerably clearer than any other batch that I have brewed.

The cleaning process afterwards, was also considerably easier for reasons I can only contribute to a sealed system keeping all of the solid material moist.

The final aroma from my sample pulled from the sample port was outstanding, I filled my fermentor through the sample port to keep air out, I also put my grain into the mash tun sealed it and filled it from the bottom port to keep air out, I didn't have nitrogen to purge it, YET.

That is all for now.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Ahem, you need oxygen for good fermentation. Once the yeast is added, oxygen is not a concern. You need to propagate it a little though, to ensure it's​ fully active when pitched.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:28 pm

I added 2 minutes, of pure co2 to the wort before I pitched.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:31 pm

do you have a reading?
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:59 am

I don't have my do meter yet or my books ordered from vlb, so I do not have a measured amount, I did time the injection of o2 I added from a disposable bottle and wand with aeration Stone for 2 minutes, it created a 1/4 inch small foam head on top of the wort just like head on a poured beer as I use low pressure I don't open the bottle all the way

If I were to guess, I would say 10 to 12 mg/l

I plan on installing a wort wizard, or some custom variation.

Any techniques, or suggestions for upgrading this process would be appreciated.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:41 am

With pure oxygen it is very easy to overdo it, inducing a unfavourable environment for the yeast (>34 mgl).

A flow meter is highly recommended. Mine came from an ambulance​, but the ones available for welding gases are also perfectly acceptable..

I don't use these aeration stones, instead I use Venturi tubes for in-line mixing. These can be obtained rather cheaply via eBay.

Pure O2 will require monitoring. Once you have a DO meter you will see how easy it is to overshoot and how hard it is to estimate without knowing the flow rate.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:52 am

A local lager brewery uses a commercial air compressor to aerate their wort. They inject inline during transfer to the CCV, then blast air into the fermentor from the bottom port until 8-10 ppm is achieved. The nice thing about ambient air, is you cannot supersaturate the wort.
- The best do the basics better -