System alterations

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Re: System alterations

Postby Crunk » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Yep will be skipping the vacuum issue will just stay to a little vent right above it that way you can just pull steam out
Striving to brew better beer every time
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:13 pm

@Crunk -- this is what I was referring to earlier on http://www.kaspar-schulz.de/en/innovati ... hoko-.html

Enjoy!
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:24 pm

If I read that correctly I am understanding that to mean that as long as I do a real easy rolling simmer instead of a vigorous boil I'm already cutting down 60% of the possible DMS in my boil because it's sealed airtight.

I'm curious how much percentage of DMS can be detected sensory wise.

Thank you for that post now you got me really thinking, any input on this particular topic specifically to percentage of DMs is detectable sensory wise
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:04 pm

You will need the right temp for DMS to split. The rest is evacuation. Note that this happens with a large surface area and a vacuum post boil (similar to a Kühlschiff but without danger of oxygenation).

So you are partially correct.

It's an optimisation though. Making incredibly fresh beers is definitely achievable with solid conventional means.
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:59 pm

I need more information before I set this in motion right now I am upgrading solely on my interpretation of a no oxygen ingress system. I am trying to find more info on the schematics of the schoko 2.0 per your link, so I can study the mechanics of it so I can scale it down and test how it operates so I can incorporate it into my brew sessions.

You seem extremely knowledgeable about this system, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts, and concerns.

I have the line app, I find it quite useful in collaborating ideas, if your familiar with it i would be happy to call you at your convenience, I am looking for any guidance and knowledge I can soak in. Everything I have read on these forums, and the other blogs IE:the quest for edelstoff, just makes sense to me, I want to learn all I can.

I have been reading kunze every night but I'm not finished reading it yet, and I'm sure I'll read it many times over.

I hope I'm not a nuisance. I'm just new to brewing, my mind won't shut down.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:24 pm

It's an interesting concept, but I do not have the extensive trial and error expertise that KS has wrt such setup. Augustiner brews 2.88 million litres beer each week. So the energy savings are substantial. This is of no concern to individuals at home. Mastering the classic basics will produce excellent results indeed. Thankfully we don't need to worry about this expenditure much.
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm going to be a guinea pig, I will do some research and tests, take records, and see what I can come up with. I'll attempt to present a report based on my findings that you all are welcome to do with as you please.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:54 am

Nice work, Crunk. Look forward to hearing more.
- The best do the basics better -
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Finally, DO meter is on its way, and sounding valves. I also picked up my motors for the boil kettle ventilation, and the mash agitator.

Got a little engineering to do shouldn't take more than a day. I have 2 fermentors free and ready so Sunday I should be able to test this system.

I have a question, I received my 34/70 should I rehydrate that before pitching, or pitch dry? I got 8 packets of it.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Hmmm, the Hefebank Weihenstephan doesn't sell dry yeast. I found many of the others claiming to be the 34/70 different to the original.