Quite Unusual Bohemian Pilsner

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Brandon
German Brewing

Quite Unusual Bohemian Pilsner

Postby Brandon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:30 am

I am working on a recipe for a Bohemian Pilsner that is similar to one brewed for the Pilsner Urquell 2012 PU Master Homebrewer Competition - and won!

I toasted some pilsner malt, per the recipe, and am using rye and a touch of aromatic malt. I am using a touch of carahell and a touch of carafoam to replace the wheat and oats. So much for Reinheitsgebot and traditional ingredients, but I am curious to try something outside the box.
Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: Quite Unusual Bohemian Pilsner

Postby Bryan R » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:48 am

I home toasted some malts as well. 2 separate batches at different time schedules one 20 minute and one 30. I noticed they are quite different, and highlight and bring different flavors to the table. It will be interesting to test these out.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:52 pm

Well, the Czechs didn't care about Reinheitsgebot did they? I mean, they aren't German... So have at it. I'm curious to see how this beer turns out for you. Tried a sample yet?
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:39 pm

Hold that thought! My palate is blown out tonight on American Rye Pale Ale...I'll pull a sample of the 5 gallons fermented with 2042 tomorrow. The WLP800 batch is still bubbling (I hope it's the right yeast and not something that's gotten ahold of it...it's been two weeks now).
Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at