Aromatic vs Melanoidin

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Aromatic vs Melanoidin

Postby Owenbräu » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:53 am

When I want to add some intense maltiness, I often reach for the high-kilned malts in the 18-30 Lovibond range. Sometimes I use aromatic and sometimes I use melanoidin. Best and Castle have light and dark melanoidin malts. Gambrinus has honey malt and a 30 lovibond dark munich. Several maltsters are now producing Abbey malt, just slightly lighter than 'traditional' aromatic, but with better diastatic power. There are a lot of malts to choose from....

When you build your recipe, how do you decide between using aromatic versus melanoidin malt?

What flavor differences do you detect between the two malts?
- The best do the basics better -
Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: Aromatic vs Melanoidin

Postby Bryan R » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:01 am

Well, having used them both... I don't really like either. Its not really they way its supposed to be. When sprinkling small amounts it just muddy's the whole lot. I know I have seen Weyermann, use up to 30-50% in some recipes. I used to put it into recipes to add some depth and color, but it never really worked out. The higher caramalts are much better at/for this.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:40 am

I agree with Bryan. I would rather use caramunich than either of those. Generally, I don't think many real German breweries use aromatic at all and the ones that use melanoidin only use it in dunkels or darker marzens, but even then I don't think it's very common.

As far as dunkels go, you're more likely to see something like 75% Munich malt (the 6L stuff, or possibly a blend of the 6L and 10L at a 7:3 ratio), 20% Pilsner malt, and 5% caramunich with the possibility of a dash of carafa special.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
MaineBrewer

Postby MaineBrewer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:45 pm

I use Melanoidin malt in a Kolsch-Style recipe I make. It gives it a sweetish flavor. It's the only time I use it. (Wife likes it too much and won't allow me to alter anything.)

I don't think I've ever used Aromatic.