Simplicity in German Brewing

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Brandon
German Brewing

Re: Simplicity in German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:31 pm

500 ppb maybe, but 500ppm is not possible. 500ppb is reasonable. And certainly not good.
Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:00 pm

Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:01 pm

pietro

Postby pietro » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:29 pm

Not to derail this further, but this depends on the engineering of the canning line. Some of the newer ones (German-engineered, whoduh thunk it!?) have figured out ways to minimize O2 in cans' headspace. They are SERIOUSLY expensive though, cost-prohibitive to most smaller US craft brewers.

There's this one:

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/ou ... nning-line

There's another one I heard about (maybe Morebeer UK?) They have one of these, which may be the same one Brewdog has. http://leibinger.eu/. These supposedly get a full seal on top of can before filling and then CO2-flushes, then CO2-pressurizes before filling (it is open on the line until it hits the seamer, but it bursts with CO2 before sealing). If they do not filter and employ some can-conditioning, oxygen becomes even less of a problem.

Even without these, I have to say, a canned Warsteiner or Radeberger is a thing of beauty. Especially when compared to an oxidized, aroma-scalped bottle. O2 ingress or not, canning is better IMO (though I haven't triangle-tasted).
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:28 pm

I agree. But most canning lines have a deal just before sealing that creates foaming with a shot of distilled or deionized water that gets rid of O2 in the headspace, from what I understand.
I just finished up a six pack of Warsteiner pils in bottles and it was still very good and fresh, in my opinion. "It" was very prominent and delicious. And the beer was beautifully clear. Finishing up a pint of Weihenstephaner Premium now (my dream beer to brew) and it was real good, but could see some floaties and whatnot, suggesting it was past its prime. But side-by-side against my helles that's conditioning now, mine wasn't crazy far off. Obviously the Weihenstephaner was better, but I'm getting closer...
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:04 am

I prefer cans to bottles.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu