Das Rauchbier

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Re: Das Rauchbier

Postby Ancient Abbey » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:47 am

Rauchbiers are definitely one of the more forgiving styles, possibly bc of sulfur compounds in the smoke or the emphasis more on smoke character and secondary focus on malt flavors. However, lodo does make them sublime.
- The best do the basics better -
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Re: Das Rauchbier

Postby Ancient Abbey » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:33 am

From another thread:

Ancient Abbey wrote:I've got two rauchbiers under my belt now with Best rauchmalt. Hands down, it is the closest thing I've ever made to matching the smoke character of Schlenkerla. The aroma is spot on perfect for Schlenkerla. It was instant memory recall for a bottle of Schlenkerla, which the Weyermann has never done for me.

Unfortunately, my personal favorite may be the Weyermann. The smoke character of the Best is much more sharp. I can see now why some judges kept saying they wanted more smoke, even though I was using a really high percentage of the Weyermann smoke malt. To me, Schlenkerla and Best still have the black, sooty edge to the smoke character. It's what you smell when you lift the lid off your smoker: face full of actual smoke, then the smell of cooked meat. Weyermann is much more refined and mellow. It lacks that intense smoky edge, and simply tastes like cooked meat.

A blend of the two may be the sweet spot. :tu
- The best do the basics better -