Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Techbrau
German Brewing

Re: Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Postby Techbrau » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:58 pm

Hence the appeal of preboiling followed by rapid chilling, especially if you can do it directly in your mash tun.

The SMB is really just to fill the cracks in a homebrew system, because our pickup from dough-in is higher without a proper vormaischer, and our pickup from diffusion is 20x faster/higher in general whenever the wort is exposed.

I've yet to see a superior method to preboil + SMB + floating lid, but that doesn't mean we should stop exploring alternatives.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:05 am

The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
die kleine bierschau

Postby die kleine bierschau » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:43 am

Lots of cobwebs on this thread, but just in case anyone comes back through:

I was really impressed with the pdf about brewing helles, and I'm glad the link still works. I was wondering about the origin of the term "Country Helles". Is it a translation of a German Begriff, or is it something the author(s) came up with?
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed May 08, 2019 7:04 am

Hope you read the paper, v3, as it corrects for a lot of the mistakes of the premature release of the v1.

Country was a general term we used to talk about slightly more robust versions of helles from areas surrounding Munich and not part of the big 6.
- The best do the basics better -