Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:17 pm

I applaude your approach! It's seriously interesting and it merits venturing further.

Can we keep going forward in this spirit?
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Techbrau
German Brewing
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Postby Techbrau » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:04 pm

Absolutely, and I don't mean to imply that home malting isn't worth exploring. Kunze has a really excellent chapter that would be a great place to start.

Brewing the perfect lager doesn't end with LODO :D :tu
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Postby bjanat » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:12 am

My second attempt at Helles went wrong, I bought a speidel 60L plastic fermenter, which I measured to fit the fridge, but made the stupid mistake of not accounting for the side spigot. Which meant I had to use the small lid, and didn't measure anything before bottling, and used the same STC-1000 schedule that had worked well with WLP830. Now, with WLP838 it had lots of green apples, even after 4 weeks of lagering and 4 more in bottles in a cold basement. Is this something that will fade? (I used krausening instead of priming sugar.)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:57 pm

Re: RE: Re: Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Postby Natebriscoe » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:03 am

bjanat wrote:My second attempt at Helles went wrong, I bought a speidel 60L plastic fermenter, which I measured to fit the fridge, but made the stupid mistake of not accounting for the side spigot. Which meant I had to use the small lid, and didn't measure anything before bottling, and used the same STC-1000 schedule that had worked well with WLP830. Now, with WLP838 it had lots of green apples, even after 4 weeks of lagering and 4 more in bottles in a cold basement. Is this something that will fade? (I used krausening instead of priming sugar.)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say at this point nothing is probably going to fade much. What was your fermentation schedule?
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Postby bjanat » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:05 am

Pitched at 6 C, raised to 8 during two days, 10 days at 8, cooled to 3 during 5 days.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Postby Weizenberg » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:58 pm

I've been using 838 for nearly 7 years and i can assure you it is not done yet. That yeast takes time to finish. I'd raise my temperature a bit 2-3C and give it another week and the. Very slooooooooowly drop it to 1.5C over the next 2.

Actaldehyde means that your beer is still green and you haven't finished secondary yet.

Really. Sit it out. Don't dump. If anything add Kräusen if you can.

I always ended up with a very nice end result.

Every strain has its own characteristics. I noticed that 838 needs quite a bit of careful handling but the result is worth it.

Hope this helps.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:57 pm

Re: RE: Re: Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Postby Natebriscoe » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Weizenberg wrote:I've been using 838 for nearly 7 years and i can assure you it is not done yet. That yeast takes time to finish. I'd raise my temperature a bit 2-3C and give it another week and the. Very slooooooooowly drop it to 1.5C over the next 2.

Actaldehyde means that your beer is still green and you haven't finished secondary yet.

Really. Sit it out. Don't dump. If anything add Kräusen if you can.

I always ended up with a very nice end result.

Every strain has its own characteristics. I noticed that 838 needs quite a bit of careful handling but the result is worth it.

Hope this helps.

Good to know about 838, I've not used it before. All strains I am familiar with, if their not cleaned up in 6 weeks they aren't going to.
User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Postby Weizenberg » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:26 pm

It produces quite a bit of Sulphur. Makes it more durable and better suited for filtering. It's an incredible strain for Bavarian Pils as well.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Postby Weizenberg » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:27 pm

Natebriscoe wrote:
Good to know about 838, I've not used it before. All strains I am familiar with, if their not cleaned up in 6 weeks they aren't going to.


How did you ferment it precisely? Including propagation and preparation steps?
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:57 pm

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Brewing a Bavarian Helles

Postby Natebriscoe » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:05 am

Weizenberg wrote:
Natebriscoe wrote:
Good to know about 838, I've not used it before. All strains I am familiar with, if their not cleaned up in 6 weeks they aren't going to.


How did you ferment it precisely? Including propagation and preparation steps?

I have only had off flavors that bad a few times since starting brewing 10 years ago and it's been several years since the last time. I couldn't tell you much about those batches at this time. That was just the rule of thumb i came up with. Really it's pretty rare for me to have much for off flavors going into the keg anymore.
(Cold fermentation pitch 44, ferment 46-48, lower and hold at 42 till tg, lower to 32.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest