American Pils

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

mpietropaoli

American Pils

Postby mpietropaoli » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:01 am

This is a recipe I've brewed many times, honestly one of my favorites from before my Lodo rebirth (which is all of 5 days old).

Its a variation on a Classic American Pils that we always brewed as a low ferment temp ale. We tried a number of yeasts, but (gasp) US-05 was our favorite. IMO, it is because when fermented at the low end (60*F), it throws off a very subtle peach ester that somehow worked great with the corn and Saaz.

If we don't brew another helles once our fermenter is freed up, this will likely be the next we brew, or if not, I will try out my smaller system with this as the recipe. I will likely use WLP 833, as we will have a large pitch from the helles currently fermenting.

Classic American Pils:

1.052 OG (5 Gallon)
4.4 lb. (2 kg) Weyermann Pilsner
3.3 lb. (1.5 kg) Flower City Malt Lab 6-row (local maltster)
3.3 lb. (1.5 kg) Briess flaked corn (1 °L)

Saaz (or likely Mitt, as I have a lot of them on hand) to 30 IBU, FWH and 60 minute

Boiled Jever water

I will essentially use the process outlined in the white paper, direct-fired (possibly recirced) mash tun to achieve steps.

WLP 833

Any feedback?
There's no easy way out. There's no shortcut home.
KenLenard

Re: American Pils

Postby KenLenard » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:28 am

First time I used US-05 cool, I got that peachy-apricot thing. It was a blonde ale of sorts and everyone who tried it asked me if it was a fruit beer. I had no issue with the fruit character of it but I don't really like surprises so I would have preferred that it not be there. OTOH, I have been known to make "American Lagers" in the past with pils, flaked corn, mild hops whether they be Hallertau or more "American Nobles" like Santiam, Mt Hood, Crystal, Liberty or Ultra and then a suitable yeast like 2124, 2278, 2000, 2001, etc. Nothing wrong with that on a hot summer day with the grill going and the music (or ballgame?) on. Cheers.
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 am

Sounds good to me. 833 is an awesome yeast, more dry and bitter than the other Bavarian strains, imo. I could see it working really well in any type of American lager
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:52 am

After sipping from my 30% 6row, 30% 2row, 40% corn lodo "american swill" beer last night, I have determined that it needs some carahell, 2% is my guesstimate.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:09 am

40% Corn? Intense
mpietropaoli

Postby mpietropaoli » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:37 am

Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:41 am

Actually mine is too corny now with the lodo. I would cut it back to 20% and add the 2%. For the reasons just as you say.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
mpietropaoli

Postby mpietropaoli » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:46 am

Brewed this yesterday on the 14G system, all-in-all a pretty successful brewday despite a rogue reading from our pH meter after adding lactic acid (forgot to buy sauermalz) of 4.48pH! took a reading later after a recirc and it was 5.4 (whew). We also did a batch sparge, which I was against.

48% Avangard pils
30% 6-row
20% flaked maize
2% carapils

Mittelfruh hops to 35 IBU, 20IBU from 60 min, the remainder from FWH.

As I mentioned above, we have always brewed this as an ale with US-05, so we did the same this time. The wort was coming out of the chiller at 75*, so we added some yeast during transfer, chilled down to 60*, pitched and oxygenated.

Also finally sampled our first Lodo helles (brewed right after the paper was released), which was game-changingly good! Going to wait until Thursday/Friday to pour my first pint (liter) as I want to disassemble and clean the faucet its on.

First pic is the helles, its a lot clearer than it looks, lot of condensation on the glass.

This reading was prior to boil (after Bryan reminded me via text that samples for these strips need to be adjusted to >6pH).