Favorite German Pilsner Hop Combos

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Sun May 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi all,

What are your favorite hop combos and schedules for German Pilsners? And why - does it remind you of a particular commercial example? Like the interplay of the hops, etc?

Thanks!
Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
zwiller

Re: Favorite German Pilsner Hop Combos

Postby zwiller » Tue May 17, 2016 10:56 am

Very interested in this. IME, using a single hop is just not as authentic. I believe a blend or combo additions are the key but truly only started experimenting with blends. Last blend I used had a decent amount of Perle in the end and was pretty good. Really wish there was some documentation like SNPA uses cascade but all I can find is the usual "we usual local grown hops". I did fool around with brewery geographics and hop regions but nothing earth shattering there. I will say that fresh Mt. Hood smells incredible to me, like it would work well but I've always opted for german hops.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Tue May 17, 2016 11:04 am

I have done my house pilsner now 5 times LODO, and my blends are as follows...

Saphir, Tettnang, Tradition-FWH Saphir, Tettnang, Tradition-60 min

Saphir, Tradition, Herbsbrucker-FWH Saphir, Tradition, Herbsbrucker-60 min

Saphir, Tradition-FWH Saphir, Tradition-60min

Saphir, Herbsrucker-FWH Saphir, Herbsrucker-60min (Did this one twice)

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Tue May 17, 2016 1:18 pm

I'm a big Saaz fan with a little Magnum for bittering, guess that's more Czech than German but Saaz is my favorite for any Pils.
zwiller

Postby zwiller » Tue May 17, 2016 2:21 pm

I think all the usual hops "work" but have yet to find a favorite. Last pils was all czech saaz and it was good but not what I want. RE: saaz; from my research, saaz is supposedly the same hop variety as the other nobles but are different due to terroir.

Objective of course, but I find saaz a bit metallic. I also find hallertau too floral. I have buddy that loves strisselspalt. I feel an amateur looking at Bryan's blends... Thanks for sharing. Saphir is a new one for me. Can't someone who knows german just email the breweries and ask so we can put a list together? :lol:
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Tue May 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed May 18, 2016 9:17 am

Here are my last few combos (all FWH/60 additions):

- Saaz, saaz
- Hersbrucker, perle (did this x3)
- Hersburkcer, spalt select
- Hersbrucker, hersbrucker
- Hersbrucker, tettnanger (did this x2)

I am definitely a fan of aromatic hops in the FWH, but I think you can get away with something more neutral or higher AA in the second addition. The last few years, the hallertau strains have been pretty low AA, and I don't want that much vegetal material in the wort. I'm still alternating between spicy and floral for the FWH. I like them both and am having a hard time picking a favorite. Good thing I don't have too ;)
- The best do the basics better -
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:52 pm

I drank a lot of DAB and Warsteiner this past week (on vacation). Man, I love beers like Warsteiner, Radeberger, etc. That malt, hop and mineral character is just fantastic. I know folks (cough - Bryan) will disagree, but I love love love it. Now, how to nail making it?
zwiller

Postby zwiller » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:46 pm

I am about 2 weeks into my most recent NGP. Planned to try GR tettnanger but LHBS was out... I grabbed AM tett and thought it would be a good idea to whip out the mobile and check. Glad I did. AM tett was not cool. Actually, it's fuggle. What I did find was a lot of good talk about Santiam. LHBS had it so I went with it and it ROCKS. I didn't blend it so I could fully experience it and easily my best NGP to date. You'd be hard pressed to find any uncivilizied american traits in it. I would like a bit more spice tho. Looks like GR tett or maybe Mt Hood is the way to go for spice.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:09 pm

Sterling is supposed to have a similar profile to Saaz. I just got some to try, along with liberty and Mt. Hood.
- The best do the basics better -