Favorite German Pilsner Hop Combos

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Sun May 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi all,

What are your favorite hop combos and schedules for German Pilsners? And why - does it remind you of a particular commercial example? Like the interplay of the hops, etc?

Thanks!
zwiller

Re: Favorite German Pilsner Hop Combos

Postby zwiller » Tue May 17, 2016 10:56 am

Very interested in this. IME, using a single hop is just not as authentic. I believe a blend or combo additions are the key but truly only started experimenting with blends. Last blend I used had a decent amount of Perle in the end and was pretty good. Really wish there was some documentation like SNPA uses cascade but all I can find is the usual "we usual local grown hops". I did fool around with brewery geographics and hop regions but nothing earth shattering there. I will say that fresh Mt. Hood smells incredible to me, like it would work well but I've always opted for german hops.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Tue May 17, 2016 11:04 am

I have done my house pilsner now 5 times LODO, and my blends are as follows...

Saphir, Tettnang, Tradition-FWH Saphir, Tettnang, Tradition-60 min

Saphir, Tradition, Herbsbrucker-FWH Saphir, Tradition, Herbsbrucker-60 min

Saphir, Tradition-FWH Saphir, Tradition-60min

Saphir, Herbsrucker-FWH Saphir, Herbsrucker-60min (Did this one twice)
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Tue May 17, 2016 1:18 pm

I'm a big Saaz fan with a little Magnum for bittering, guess that's more Czech than German but Saaz is my favorite for any Pils.
zwiller

Postby zwiller » Tue May 17, 2016 2:21 pm

I think all the usual hops "work" but have yet to find a favorite. Last pils was all czech saaz and it was good but not what I want. RE: saaz; from my research, saaz is supposedly the same hop variety as the other nobles but are different due to terroir.

Objective of course, but I find saaz a bit metallic. I also find hallertau too floral. I have buddy that loves strisselspalt. I feel an amateur looking at Bryan's blends... Thanks for sharing. Saphir is a new one for me. Can't someone who knows german just email the breweries and ask so we can put a list together? :lol:
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Tue May 17, 2016 2:35 pm

zwiller wrote:I think all the usual hops "work" but have yet to find a favorite. Last pils was all czech saaz and it was good but not what I want. RE: saaz; from my research, saaz is supposedly the same hop variety as the other nobles but are different due to terroir.

Objective of course, but I find saaz a bit metallic. I also find hallertau too floral. I have buddy that loves strisselspalt. I feel an amateur looking at Bryan's blends... Thanks for sharing. Saphir is a new one for me. Can't someone who knows german just email the breweries and ask so we can put a list together? :lol:

I did a Perle-FWH Perle, Tradition-60min, Saphir at 20 and flameout and it turned out very well. Especially since all the Saphir helped counteract some fermentation issues I created. :)

Grab a six of Firestone Walker Pivo Pils if you want to taste what Saphir is like.

I am making a list of discussion topics for my next trip to Germany. I plan to stop at least at Ur-Krostizer near Leipzig (because it's about 5 KM from my brother in law's house) and Bayerischer Bahnhof hoping to cross paths with Matthias again, maybe Radeberger because we'll likely go hiking at the Bastei at Saxon Switzerland Park. We fly in to Munich so maybe can hit breweries along the way (Weihenstephan would be great). I need to find more small breweries in the area (Saxony) that might be more discussion friendly (though at the risk of not speaking English).
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Wed May 18, 2016 9:17 am

Here are my last few combos (all FWH/60 additions):

- Saaz, saaz
- Hersbrucker, perle (did this x3)
- Hersburkcer, spalt select
- Hersbrucker, hersbrucker
- Hersbrucker, tettnanger (did this x2)

I am definitely a fan of aromatic hops in the FWH, but I think you can get away with something more neutral or higher AA in the second addition. The last few years, the hallertau strains have been pretty low AA, and I don't want that much vegetal material in the wort. I'm still alternating between spicy and floral for the FWH. I like them both and am having a hard time picking a favorite. Good thing I don't have too ;)
- The best do the basics better -
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:52 pm

I drank a lot of DAB and Warsteiner this past week (on vacation). Man, I love beers like Warsteiner, Radeberger, etc. That malt, hop and mineral character is just fantastic. I know folks (cough - Bryan) will disagree, but I love love love it. Now, how to nail making it?
zwiller

Postby zwiller » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:46 pm

I am about 2 weeks into my most recent NGP. Planned to try GR tettnanger but LHBS was out... I grabbed AM tett and thought it would be a good idea to whip out the mobile and check. Glad I did. AM tett was not cool. Actually, it's fuggle. What I did find was a lot of good talk about Santiam. LHBS had it so I went with it and it ROCKS. I didn't blend it so I could fully experience it and easily my best NGP to date. You'd be hard pressed to find any uncivilizied american traits in it. I would like a bit more spice tho. Looks like GR tett or maybe Mt Hood is the way to go for spice.
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:09 pm

Sterling is supposed to have a similar profile to Saaz. I just got some to try, along with liberty and Mt. Hood.
- The best do the basics better -