Favorite German Pilsner Hop Combos

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Re: Favorite German Pilsner Hop Combos

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:19 pm

Tettnanger is superb! Together with magnum as initial charge for the bittering, it makes for superb pils.

FYI try adding between 0.5-1 g per litre late. Ideally when approaching 90-85 Celsius in the whirlpool. It contributes negligible bittering, so just ignore when calculating your IBU.

There are many other approaches. I keep falling back on this one though. It's simply preference.

Gut Sud! (Old German brewers greeting)
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Nick_D » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Weizenberg wrote:Tettnanger is superb! Together with magnum as initial charge for the bittering, it makes for superb pils.

FYI try adding between 0.5-1 g per litre late. Ideally when approaching 90-85 Celsius in the whirlpool. It contributes negligible bittering, so just ignore when calculating your IBU.

There are many other approaches. I keep falling back on this one though. It's simply preference.

Gut Sud! (Old German brewers greeting)

This sounds good to me....... I'm brewing my pilsner this weekend. Have Hallertau and Tettnanger hops. Would love to get something approaching the Warsteiner flavour in terms of hopping. Would this approach be in that direction ? Was initially just going to do as is suggested in the "Low oxygen baseline recipes for German lagers" thread of "26-30 IBUs, 30% as FWH, 35% at 60 min, 35% at 30 min", which has no real late addition.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:29 pm

I loathe Warsteiner. I cannot possibly help you with this since I never drink it.
Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Nick_D » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:15 am

Weizenberg wrote:I loathe Warsteiner. I cannot possibly help you with this since I never drink it.

Haha I appreciate you honesty ! Sadly here in Australia, the choices of German Pils are VERY limited. Oettinger, Weihenstephaner, Bittburger, Warsteiner. Probably the Weihenstephaner is the best of the lot I suppose. Be happy I didn't ask for tips on re-creating Oettinger :P
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:54 pm

Nick_D wrote:
Weizenberg wrote:I loathe Warsteiner. I cannot possibly help you with this since I never drink it.

Haha I appreciate you honesty ! Sadly here in Australia, the choices of German Pils are VERY limited. Oettinger, Weihenstephaner, Bittburger, Warsteiner. Probably the Weihenstephaner is the best of the lot I suppose. Be happy I didn't ask for tips on re-creating Oettinger :P

haha, I love Warsteiner (so I found when I had some earlier this past summer). While a Bavarian would scoff at that minerally hoppiness, I can't get enough of it. Same for Radeberger.

As for reproducing it, I've been trying. I have a really nice Pilsner on tap now that has a great hop aroma and flavor (Tettnang is a must have for me in a Pils), but lacks the flavor complexity of Warsteiner or Radeberger.
Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Nick_D » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:03 pm

Brandon wrote:
Nick_D wrote:

haha, I love Warsteiner (so I found when I had some earlier this past summer). While a Bavarian would scoff at that minerally hoppiness, I can't get enough of it. Same for Radeberger.

As for reproducing it, I've been trying. I have a really nice Pilsner on tap now that has a great hop aroma and flavor (Tettnang is a must have for me in a Pils), but lacks the flavor complexity of Warsteiner or Radeberger.

Indeed, I find it delicious ! I also like the 'mineral' element of it. I also like Bitburger off tap, or from mini keg. I once proudly displayed my Bitburger to a German girl at a party, and she proceeded to tell me that basically only bums and homeless people drink it (her exact words). So that didn't impress much!
I was going to use the Tettnang in FWH, and Hallertau for the other two additions at 60 and 30. How would you proceed? Perhaps Tettnang as the 30 minute addition instead for the flavour ?
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:14 pm

Nick_D wrote:
Brandon wrote:
Nick_D wrote:

Indeed, I find it delicious ! I also like the 'mineral' element of it. I also like Bitburger off tap, or from mini keg. I once proudly displayed my Bitburger to a German girl at a party, and she proceeded to tell me that basically only bums and homeless people drink it (her exact words). So that didn't impress much!
I was going to use the Tettnang in FWH, and Hallertau for the other two additions at 60 and 30. How would you proceed? Perhaps Tettnang as the 30 minute addition instead for the flavour ?

On the last one I brewed I did 60/30/5 minute additions, combo of Tettnang and Hersbrucker. To a total of ~35 IBU. I go back and forth on additional earlier than 15 minutes, but did 5 and it worked. The beer still dramatically misses from what I'm after, but is very easy drinking and good hop flavor-floral more than mineral. It would probably qualify as being Bavarian (smooth) not rugged like the Northern and Eastern German Pilsners I want to brew. Radeberger, Jever - probably the cheaper, less refined the better. :) That said, I do love Bavarian beers as well.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:28 pm

If you want it really bitter, then a high alpha hop in the first phase is highly recommended.

For a minerally note you need an appropriate water profile.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:42 pm

Weizenberg wrote:If you want it really bitter, then a high alpha hop in the first phase is highly recommended.

For a minerally note you need an appropriate water profile.

Not just bitter...it's the combination and I think the bitterness is accentuated with the mineral. Yeah, I agree it's some combo...need to dial it in.
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:42 am

Nick_D wrote:This sounds good to me....... I'm brewing my pilsner this weekend. Have Hallertau and Tettnanger hops. Would love to get something approaching the Warsteiner flavour in terms of hopping. Would this approach be in that direction ? Was initially just going to do as is suggested in the "Low oxygen baseline recipes for German lagers" thread of "26-30 IBUs, 30% as FWH, 35% at 60 min, 35% at 30 min", which has no real late addition.

I've settled on mash hopping, first wort hopping and a short boil hopping, which can vary from 10min to a whirlpool addition depending on the style. The 30 min addition doesn't taste as good to me as FWH or SBH, nor does it provide the IBU of MH and FWH, so I never use one. I use 10-15% of my total IBU at SBH, then split the remainder of the desired IBU between MH and FWH. So, for something like Warsteiner, I would do 45/45/10 as MH/FWH/SBH. If you aren't interested in MH, then change that addition to full boil hopping and do 45/45/10 as FWH/FBH/SBH.
- The best do the basics better -