Kostritzer Schwartzbier Recipe

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

wobdee
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Western WIS

Kostritzer Schwartzbier Recipe

Postby wobdee » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Any good takes on a recipe for this? I can buy this stuff locally in the can and think it's fantastic so I'm going to have to try my hand at a Schwartz.

I'm thinking around 70% Pils, 20% Munich along with some darker Caramunich and enough Carafa III to get me around 20 SRM. Probably go with around 25-30 IBU with a FWH and 60 min addition.
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Kostritzer Schwartzbier Recipe

Postby Brandon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:59 pm

wobdee wrote:Any good takes on a recipe for this? I can buy this stuff locally in the can and think it's fantastic so I'm going to have to try my hand at a Schwartz.

I'm thinking around 70% Pils, 20% Munich along with some darker Caramunich and enough Carafa III to get me around 20 SRM. Probably go with around 25-30 IBU with a FWH and 60 min addition.


Oh my...one of my favorites! And very often easily found in our haunts when we're in Germany. That looks like a good place to start with a recipe. I've brewed similar before and liked it. Personally I would add a later hop addition to make it a bit more Pilsnery.
User avatar
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Kostritzer Schwartzbier Recipe

Postby Ancient Abbey » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:39 pm

I would keep some sinamar on hand to adjust your color in the kettle. I had a dry stout at 45 EBC that came out like a brown ale. The next one was 70 EBC and finally turned out black. Same thing with a Belgian Dark strong. I ended up adding 20 ml sinamar at the end of the boil to darken it.
- The best do the basics better -
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Kostritzer Schwartzbier Recipe

Postby Brandon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:29 pm

Ancient Abbey wrote:I would keep some sinamar on hand to adjust your color in the kettle. I had a dry stout at 45 EBC that came out like a brown ale. The next one was 70 EBC and finally turned out black. Same thing with a Belgian Dark strong. I ended up adding 20 ml sinamar at the end of the boil to darken it.


Thanks for reminding me - I meant to say, I want to try Sinamar in a Schwarzbier next time. And maybe 5-10% Munich malt, 1-2% Cara of some kind.
caedus
Apprentice Brewer
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Re: Kostritzer Schwartzbier Recipe

Postby caedus » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:33 pm

I actually was able to have some fresher examples of this recently and found the roast flavor to be quite minimal. I would think some crystal malt would be necessary to play with the roast flavor.

For my wedding I brewed one with 5% Carafa III, 3% CaraMunich, and 3% Chocolate malt. The roast was veryyyy noticable and next time I think I will do 3% each of Carafa I and III, and then 5-6% Caramunich.

My two cents.
Bryan R
Braumeister
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Re: Kostritzer Schwartzbier Recipe

Postby Bryan R » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:50 pm

At 2% in a lowdo beer, roast REALLLY comes though.
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Kostritzer Schwartzbier Recipe

Postby Brandon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:59 pm

caedus wrote:I actually was able to have some fresher examples of this recently and found the roast flavor to be quite minimal. I would think some crystal malt would be necessary to play with the roast flavor.

For my wedding I brewed one with 5% Carafa III, 3% CaraMunich, and 3% Chocolate malt. The roast was veryyyy noticable and next time I think I will do 3% each of Carafa I and III, and then 5-6% Caramunich.

My two cents.


For Schwarzbier, my preference is towards Kostrizer, which is really more of a black Pilsner. By comparison, I find Mönchshof Schwarzbier to be more on the roasty and on the richer side. Personally I wouldn't use chocolate malt at all. And minimal Carafa Special for color - and Sinamar at that. Really depends on preference though.
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Kostritzer Schwartzbier Recipe

Postby Brandon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Bryan R wrote:At 2% in a lowdo beer, roast REALLLY comes though.


haha, agreed. More than 2% and you're making a German Porter not a Pilsner.
wobdee
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Western WIS

Re: Kostritzer Schwartzbier Recipe

Postby wobdee » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:01 pm

I was thinking of going with 4% Caraaroma to help darken it up without overdoing the Carafa but it may be too much caramel flavor, not tasting any caramel in kostritzer. Sinamar may be a better option. Maybe look at it more like a black Pils.
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Kostritzer Schwartzbier Recipe

Postby Brandon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:06 pm

wobdee wrote:I was thinking of going with 4% Caraaroma to help darken it up without overdoing the Carafa but it may be too much caramel flavor, not tasting any caramel in kostritzer. Sinamar may be a better option. Maybe look at it more like a black Pils.


If your LODO process is tight, Caraaroma would be a fine addition and give a nice balance of flavors. I have a Pilsner on that has some CaraAroma and it's certainly not too much - as long as fermentation is good and the mash was held in check.

Pre-LODO, I would keep it Pils/10-20% Muma/1-2% Caramunich (maybe), and Sinamar.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest