Hefeweizen

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Any input on the mouthfeel? I've brewed maybe three or four more the last month, and I can't get the moutfeel right. I don't wanna tamper with my water chemistry, yet. I hardly do anything to it.

You guys said earlier that I should let i sit for about five weeks, will not the isoamyl acetate take a little dive after five weeks? Will it help on the mouthfeel to sit so long?
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:06 pm

I'm gonna beat this horse just a little bit more.

The mouthfeel is now my final issue I have to solve. I'm not getting that fullness of the commercial examples. I've tried a lot of things, I can make the FG = 1.022, but that's just plain wrong. There is something to this I don't know about or haven't been able to visualize the effect of when adding 2+2. After all my hefeweizens I haven't even "stumbled upon" a batch which has had that fullness I'm after. It's not that they are horribly thin.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:08 am

You have a plethora of reasons. Water will be most certainly one of them. The information you provide is not enough for anyone to give you sensible help. You should consider publishing the brew protocol of the beer in question.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:47 am

I have done so many different things that the brew protocol(s) would be as a stack of papers reaching the moon.

Amount of yeast in suspension
CaCl
Mash rests

Are the obvious places to look..

The one thing I'm looking into now is "Long saccharification rests help to develop the characteristic fullness of wheat beers through the formation of glycol proteins." By sacc-rests the article is meaning 72C. This article: https://braumagazin.de/article/brewing- ... d-to-know/

I've tried my google-skills on this, but haven't had any luck. This is the only source I've heard of "glycol proteins".
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:00 am

Can it be that I'm not getting enough proteins into the final beer?

I use protaflock (thinking that the yeast is supposed to form the haze), and let it sit for a few hours before I get it into the fermentor.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:01 am

Holding the mash for an extended rest at 72C for glycoproteins is standard for me in all German beers. That's a good place to start.

I think I remember you saying you ferment at room temp. Temperature control during the fermentation is going to help a lot as well. Try the rule of 30C and see how you like it.

I also avoid clarifiers with hefe.
- The best do the basics better -
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:49 am

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:53 am

- The best do the basics better -
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:28 am

Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:20 pm

However. I have never done a 72C step for more than 20 minutes except for maybe one time. This time (today) I did it for 60 minutes just to see if there was a noticable effect. And I've just realized that I've been autopiloting on when I add my water adjustments (have initially soft water), and they've all gone into the mash. But I've realized that 40-50% of the minerals added to the mash are lost in the mash and not being carried over to the boil.