Hefeweizen

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Smellyglove » Tue May 23, 2017 12:30 pm

I'd just like to say thank you to you all who have answered my questions. German style of brewing is completely new to me. Especially what happens during fermentation. I got linked to a german site with prizewinning homebrewed beers, and after studying their procedures the pieces fell into place.

I just bottles my first hefe with speise, after five days. As an experiment I bottled it before FG and without dropping out any yeast. I "know" where it will end up in terms of FG, so I ran with those numbers. Next step is to do forced fermentation.

I'll be brewing another one this week which I'll give a day after FG is reached to settle out. Since I brew about twice a week I bottled this batch as it was "for my own science".
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer

Postby bjanat » Tue May 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Tue May 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Yes that's the one.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue May 23, 2017 3:47 pm

This is the website of the German Homebrewers Association
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:25 pm

I'd just want to bow for thee, one more time.

I'm having a glass of my hefe, which was fermented to (mostly) your tips. A week at room temp and a two days in my cold crawlspace, and it's ten times as much as it was comparing to kegging. Speise when there was about one point left, no 10C to let yeast drop. But, I'm still lacking just a tad in the mouthfeel-deparment. But the taste and aroma is consistent over time, which I couldn't get from the keg.

Great head, nice color and it's just talking to you from across the room, that's how I want to brew all my beers. They must make you want them just out of apparance. They must be sexy.

1.jpg
1.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 5303 times
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:35 pm

Cheers

It may be a bit too early though. Give it a good 5 weeks in the bottle.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:34 am

- The best do the basics better -
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:40 am

- The best do the basics better -
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:22 pm

Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:36 am

I'm currently sampling one of mine vs a Paulaner (4.7%, bought in store, not the freshest bottle).

I'm lacking in the mouthfeel department. Any quick tips what I could look at here?

The last batch, currently fermenting. Didn't go through a decoction, but by a mistake it got boiled for two hours and 45 minutes. When I was suppsed to pump my "herrmann-water" Into the mash tun, I forgot to add the extra malt, so the volume was low, which was kind of strange, so I added extra water.. then realized I forgot the grains. Receipe called for 120 boil (just to test, up from 90), but I had to boil for 45 minutes extra to reach my volume and target OG (1.052). I'm curious about what the extra maillard-products could give in terms of mouthfeel. Mouthfeel is the thing I'm chasing right now.