Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:29 am

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 am

You won"t need it for the first half unless you want to exaggerate clove aroma or have a substantial amount of another high protein malt in there (eg munich malt).

The long rest at 40C during the second half is a ferulic acid rest and also works for the proteolytics.

If you believe the Brewmaster at Schneider, the ferulic optima is at 38C
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:43 am

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:56 am

You combine them in the rest after you cool down. Remember that enzymes follow an analogue, not a digital pattern.

So you don't need to run at optima for everything. As long as you are sufficiently long in each curve you are ok.

Best is to experiment and take good notes. If you bother doing that, then I am sure you'll find a lot of interested people here (myself included).

At 40C you already have what is called a proper protein rest, you are still in a good optima for the Ferulic and also the Maltase. If you need to control the stuff in the second phase then I would suggest shifting the grist ratios first, then you can shift the time spent in there. Last resort would be to then tweak the temp range further.

Everyone needs to find what suits them best. Such is the nature of many things.

Prosit and Happy Brewing!
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:36 pm

I have a question for you Weizen-yeast gurus.

I just kegged my last one. And something strange happened, it might be lacto-infection, but let's say it's not. I had stable readings at 1.013 over several days, three readings, 27.02, 01.03 and 05.03. I kegged it today and read 1.010, it's slightly tart and acidic, just slightly, but enough to make me instantly go "what the hell?"

Phenols and esters are not so pronounced as they were 05.03. I'm reading that 380 can be slightly tart and acidic, but I've never noticed it before, I'm on my fourth generation. Same generation as the one before, but I fucked that one up and kegged it after 8 days, so I'm not sure what the end result would be like, but they tasted exactly the same at day 8.

So, if it's not an infection, can 380 do this? I've never come across this before. And that slight tartness, and lack of those lovely phenols and esters makes me want to dump it.

I'm guessing it's infected, but I want to check other possibilities first.

It was brewed on 20th february. Pitched at 13, up to 17 over 18hrs, then held at 17, and up to 19 over18 hrs on the 5th of mars. OG was 1.050.
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:51 pm

And. As a separate post when it comes to fermenting Hefeweizen. I've noticed that they actually taste close to best, just before the onset of sulpfur production starts, in my setup that's around the seventh day mark. They are bombs of esters and phenols, which slowly diminishes over time. My guess is that it's active suspended yeast.

My hefe's normally land on 1.012, which is right on the spot where I'd want them, 1.013 isn't that bad either, given my target OG of 1.052, (last one came in at 1.050, still dialing in efficiency-bump from the Herrmann-mash). I'm figuring I'd want to transfer and spund the next one just after sulfur-has been mostly vented out the airlock, which would leave me a few points left in the keg.

Anyone has any input to my experiences with this taste-issue?
TheHairyHop

Postby TheHairyHop » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:00 pm

wouldn't a pH reading be a good place to go next?