Hefeweizen

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:09 pm

The 70-72 step is often at least 40 minutes long. 60 minutes is not uncommon. If you are looking for a lot more such as in the Paulaner, then you may need to tweak the grain bill further as well.

I'd also be careful with boil intensity and times. Smaller kettles need much less of this. Overdoing it will make most.of the proteins drop out and you end up with a rather thin feeling drink.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Weizenberg wrote:The 70-72 step is often at least 40 minutes long. 60 minutes is not uncommon. If you are looking for a lot more such as in the Paulaner, then you may need to tweak the grain bill further as well.

I'd also be careful with boil intensity and times. Smaller kettles need much less of this. Overdoing it will make most.of the proteins drop out and you end up with a rather thin feeling drink.


So. You're saying the proteins has a lot to say? I boil gently, usually 90 minutes, although I've tried 120 and 150 minutes too to get some feel of thickness from maillard reactions. 9% evap pr hour. But i skim off the brown protein-gunk during boil.

I usually let it sit for about two hours after chilling, to let things settle out, so I don't have to do a dirt-skim when harvesting yeast, and for a clean taste. Maybe this is a wrong approach for a hefe? I've just cooled my last batch five minutes ago.

And yes, the Paulaner is my reference for when it comes to mouthfeel. I'm using 67% wheat, 30% pilsen, 3% caramunich 3. I've also done 67/32/1 where the last is choco. Also swapped the CM3 for belgian 120 EBC once or twice since they taste pretty full and sweet-ish comparing to the CM3, which i find is more in the direction of roasty.

And also, my post-boil volume is 16L post-cooling.
User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:21 pm

With that grain bill, it's no surprise.

Don't complain about the walls being black when using black paint.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:15 pm

Weizenberg wrote:With that grain bill, it's no surprise.

Don't complain about the walls being black when using black paint.


Okay?

Afaik this is a pretty standard grainbill for a hefeweizen. Tonnes of reading of wheat-books and lots of hours researching a grainbill for a hefeweisen, and I've never felt I've been off on the grainbill.
Ronzi83
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:22 am

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Ronzi83 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:22 am

Would mater if I use local grains?

Poslano z mojega WAS-LX1 z uporabo Tapatalk
Techbrau
German Brewing
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Techbrau » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:59 am

One issue that could be contributing to your problems is the fact that you are boiling too long and too hard. I wouldn’t go above 60 minutes, and I would bring your total evaporation down to 6-8%. If you boil too much, you end up coagulating too many head and body positive proteins.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Smellyglove » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 am

Hm, I'll try that after the next batch.

But so basically, since it seems one of the culprits might be proteins..

I guess i should stop trying to get as clear wort as possible into the fermentor?
User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Weizenberg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:19 pm

I would be careful using extra finings, if that's what you mean.

Your grain bill also needs attention if you want a more full bodied style.

For full bodied styles, charges of 10% caramalt at 40-50EBC are not unheard of.

There is quite a variety of styles which we consume regularly. On one end of the spectrum you have the Schneider style, which edges on light bodied, to the ayinger which is a Vienna malt bomb, to the full bodied (Paulaner) which uses quite a bit of caramalt.

If u use Pima, then a small dose of light Munich (5-10%) as part of the base mix is also a good idea.

To get the idea try

50 wheat malt
10 cara 50 EBC
10 Munich 15 EBC
30 pilsner 3-3.5 EBC

Over boiling is detrimental. On the small 0.5hl systems we use at home, a 60 minute gentle boil is plenty indeed.

Bitterness at 12 IBU tinseth.

Let me know how you get on.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Smellyglove » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Weizenberg wrote:I would be careful using extra finings, if that's what you mean.

Your grain bill also needs attention if you want a more full bodied style.

For full bodied styles, charges of 10% caramalt at 40-50EBC are not unheard of.

There is quite a variety of styles which we consume regularly. On one end of the spectrum you have the Schneider style, which edges on light bodied, to the ayinger which is a Vienna malt bomb, to the full bodied (Paulaner) which uses quite a bit of caramalt.

If u use Pima, then a small dose of light Munich (5-10%) as part of the base mix is also a good idea.

To get the idea try

50 wheat malt
10 cara 50 EBC
10 Munich 15 EBC
30 pilsner 3-3.5 EBC

Over boiling is detrimental. On the small 0.5hl systems we use at home, a 60 minute gentle boil is plenty indeed.

Bitterness at 12 IBU tinseth.

Let me know how you get on.


Aight. Thanks. However. Are you sure about the full body and pulaner = munich and less wheat? I feel my hefes has stepped up after I yanked up the wheat portion of the grist.
User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby Weizenberg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Adjust as you like. What I gave you is a ballpark for about 3 different grain bills ;)

I am pretty sure this will be a good experiment for you. Why do you think I am going through the trouble?
Last edited by Weizenberg on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest