Hefeweizen

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

TheHairyHop

Re: Hefeweizen

Postby TheHairyHop » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:16 pm

are you adding speisse or krausening? They are different.

I'm going to be trying to nail an altbier and a hefe this summer. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute something to this thread
TheHairyHop

Postby TheHairyHop » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:19 pm

is it correct to say that a protein rest for wheat results in improved mouthfeel (that is long proteins present in wheat get broken down into medium proteins) while a protein rest for modern barley malts results in a thinner mouth feel (from medium proteins being broken down into shorter proteins)?
I have been trying to chase a full, thick mouthfeel on my American IPAs, and I have quite frankly had no luck. So therefore, I am not exactly excited to try and make a great Hefe
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 pm

Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Fri May 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks for all your help in this thread. I've had no overall further success in implementing the last things ((goes back a few months) and some at all) I've picked up in this thread. But I've learnt a lot from researching and trying out these things, as a base, and will implement the knowledge as I see it needed at various degrees (in all kinds of beers actually, I feel many things I've learnt here actually does better in other styles). There's a lot of variables I've learnt from this, and I can't wait to brew the next 8-10 hefes dialing it all in and making it play like I want it to.

Like everyone I've developed a very personal style of brewing a certain style. Some info taken from here, some from there, and very much a personal touch revolving the equipment at hand built on experiences accumulated from all the batches, I'm currently at batch #24 of Hefeweizen on this setup. Thank you and prost!
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sat May 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Great. I love having a pale hefe on tap for the spring and summer months, then making more amber colored versions for the fall and winter. So many brews, so little time...
- The best do the basics better -