Rauchbier Recipe Input

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

zkosslow
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:40 am

Rauchbier Recipe Input

Postby zkosslow » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:56 am

Hey all,

I am really craving an intense Schlenkerla-esque Rauchbier and I was hoping to get some feedback on recipe as well as other process tips and the such. I am aware about keeping my chlorine levels as low as possible to none...possibly even just buying DO water at the grocery store (unless boiling and SMB would pretty much guarantee no chlorine in brewing liquor as I have recently adopted LoDO brewing practices to an extent).

Right now, I have a malt bill of ~96% rauchmalt (Weyermann) and 4% pale chocolate. Any tips on malt bill, hop bill, yeast, process, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also, just what has worked for them on your own rauchbiers would be great.

Cheers,
Zach
User avatar
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:29 am
Location: New York

Rauchbier Recipe Input

Postby Big Monk » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:20 am

I dont recall there being any rauchbiers recipes in the recipes section.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Rauchbier Recipe Input

Postby Brandon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:33 am

Big Monk wrote:I dont recall there being any rauchbiers recipes in the recipes section.


AncientAbbey is a big fan of Rauchbier. And has done some LODO batches. Hopefully he will chime in when he has a sec.
User avatar
ajk
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Re: Rauchbier Recipe Input

Postby ajk » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:29 am

Here's mine, which I plan to brew this weekend:

60% Smoked Malt (Best)
31% Munich Malt, Light (Avangard)
5% Carahell
4% Caramunich II

21 IBU Hallertauer Tradition

Because Schlenkerla malts its own grain over a wood fire, their exact flavor profile is hard to replicate (or has been for me) with malts available commercially. But this recipe gets close.

Here's a photo of the furnace at Schlenkerla.
Image
User avatar
ajk
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Re: Rauchbier Recipe Input

Postby ajk » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:34 am

Oh, a couple other things. Your local water supplier may use chloramine instead of chlorine, in which case it is harder to remove through boiling. I'd use RO water (for everything, including cleaning your equipment before you brew).

In case you're wondering why I only suggest 60% Rauchmalt compared to your proposed 96%, smoked malts are heavily dependent on freshness, too. So my malt supplier might turn over grain faster than yours, resulting in fresher malt, resulting in me not needing to use as much.
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Rauchbier Recipe Input

Postby Brandon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:11 pm

ajk wrote:Oh, a couple other things. Your local water supplier may use chloramine instead of chlorine, in which case it is harder to remove through boiling. I'd use RO water (for everything, including cleaning your equipment before you brew).

In case you're wondering why I only suggest 60% Rauchmalt compared to your proposed 96%, smoked malts are heavily dependent on freshness, too. So my malt supplier might turn over grain faster than yours, resulting in fresher malt, resulting in me not needing to use as much.


Great point about the chloramine...don't let chlorine/chloramine get anywhere near brew day, including cleaning. Even small amounts will totally ruin the flavor.

And likewise on the Rauchmalt. I've typically done 50-70% of the grist and once was dinged for lacking smoke, and even my own preferences have ended up wanting more (I have grown to love Rauchbier). I believe Ancient uses upwards of 80% as standard practice and I will likely do the same next time too (I get my rauchmalt from MoreBeer or Northern Brewer - I don't believe any of it has ever been as fresh as it could be).
zkosslow
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:40 am

Re: Rauchbier Recipe Input

Postby zkosslow » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to clone Schlenkerla in any way....I just want something in that light: an intense meaty smoked dark amber lager! I was most likely going to get my rauchmalt from MoreBeer...and yeah, I would suspect that it wouldn't be incredibly fresh there...however, you have to think that HUGE online retailers would be turning over malt much more than LHBS's and the such, right??

I think I will go big on the smoke...like I said, I want something quite intense. And just to safe, I'll buy DO water from the store for any brewing liquor/cleaning water.

More feedback on your rauchbier experiences is still welcome!! Prost!
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Rauchbier Recipe Input

Postby Brandon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:38 pm

zkosslow wrote:Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to clone Schlenkerla in any way....I just want something in that light: an intense meaty smoked dark amber lager! I was most likely going to get my rauchmalt from MoreBeer...and yeah, I would suspect that it wouldn't be incredibly fresh there...however, you have to think that HUGE online retailers would be turning over malt much more than LHBS's and the such, right??

I think I will go big on the smoke...like I said, I want something quite intense. And just to safe, I'll buy DO water from the store for any brewing liquor/cleaning water.

More feedback on your rauchbier experiences is still welcome!! Prost!


Even with nearly 100% Rauchmalz, if you like smoked beers, that much Weyermann Rauchmalz is just that much higher % of awesomeness. I love the flavor of it and keep wanting more more MORE in mine.

I agree, I'd think one of the larger retailers would have the best turnover so best freshness.
User avatar
Brody
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:30 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: Rauchbier Recipe Input

Postby Brody » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:38 pm

Man, as much as I enjoy a 0.5l of Schlenkerla on occasion polishing off a keg of it may be brutal for the palate.
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Rauchbier Recipe Input

Postby Brandon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:42 pm

Brody wrote:Man, as much as I enjoy a 0.5l of Schlenkerla on occasion polishing off a keg of it may be brutal for the palate.


1 glass of Rauchbier can be kind of hard to take. It's once you're on your 2nd or third glass, for me especially on a cold, crisp night, maybe with a fire going (inside or out), some good cheeses and cured meats...mmmm, smokefest! You feel enveloped in bacon, kind of like a bacon wrapped pork roll on a smoker.

(yes, I'm trying to gross Bryan out...he hates Rauchbier).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests