Discussion: Recipe considerations for LoDO

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Cavpilot2000

Re: Discussion: Recipe considerations for LoDO

Postby Cavpilot2000 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:48 pm

Techbrau wrote:
What is very interesting to me is the fact that I don't know of any Bavarian maltsters we can buy from. Most malsters who export to the USA are located in Northern Germany. Weyermann would be the closest in Bamberg, but that's Franconia and not really part of Bavaria depending on who you ask. When I visited the Ayinger brewery, they told me that they source all of their barley locally (grown within approximately a 50 mile radius IIRC) and have it malted locally as well. Augustiner of course makes their own malt, as do several other Munich breweries I believe.

I just started using malts from Klostermalz in Erlangen (near Nurnburg). I've used their Pils, Vienna and dark Munich. Liked them so much I just bought a sack of the Pils and Vienna.

The only place I know of you can get them in the States is a place in Massachusetts called Stone Path Malts. They were courting my LHBS and the manager asked me to give them a test brew since he knew I do mostly German styles. Unfortunately I think they only do wholesale right now, but I spoke with one of the owners and if you don't have access to one of their retailers (only in MA, I think), they might be willing to ship.
http://www.stonepathmalt.com/

Anyway, best tasting malts I've ever tried.
Techbrau
German Brewing

Re: Discussion: Recipe considerations for LoDO

Postby Techbrau » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I may be able to get my hands on some.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.