Munchen Hofbrau Original

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

brewcrew7

Re: Munchen Hofbrau Original

Postby brewcrew7 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks for the inquiry wobdee. Interesting (or not) that the reply mentioned Briess Bonlander Munich. Whether or not that is based on the fact its a US source easy for you to procure, he didn't mention a German one. That could imply a house-specified malt, which would be no surprise.

In any event, does anyone have an opinion about Briess' Bonlander Munich malt? I tried it once in an amber ale (~30-45% of grist, with some Victory IIRC) and I just felt it terribly "coarse" and not "clean" for lack of better words. While it could be my aversion to Victory (toast), I'd like to support "local" products but I just can't bring myself to on this one. I fear some blowback for even considering this, but is there any Briess malts worthy of German-inspired beer?
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 am

Very cool, thanks for sharing - have never seen a whirlpool addition of Magnum before, interesting.
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:20 pm

brewcrew7 wrote:Thanks for the inquiry wobdee. Interesting (or not) that the reply mentioned Briess Bonlander Munich. Whether or not that is based on the fact its a US source easy for you to procure, he didn't mention a German one. That could imply a house-specified malt, which would be no surprise.

In any event, does anyone have an opinion about Briess' Bonlander Munich malt? I tried it once in an amber ale (~30-45% of grist, with some Victory IIRC) and I just felt it terribly "coarse" and not "clean" for lack of better words. While it could be my aversion to Victory (toast), I'd like to support "local" products but I just can't bring myself to on this one. I fear some blowback for even considering this, but is there any Briess malts worthy of German-inspired beer?

Yeah, I think the bonlander Munich reply was a way of helping me find something local similar to their munich. At 10% I would have to think the Munich is on the light side to obtain that color. I've used Bondlander a long time ago and thought it was lacking the flavors of a true German Munich malt. I'll stick to Best and Weyermann.
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Brody wrote:Very cool, thanks for sharing - have never seen a whirlpool addition of Magnum before, interesting.

The Magnum thing really surprised me, I was thinking more Nobel. I don't think Magnum has the reputation as a good late addition as far as what I've read but I never tried it myself.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:38 pm

wobdee wrote:
Brody wrote:Very cool, thanks for sharing - have never seen a whirlpool addition of Magnum before, interesting.

The Magnum thing really surprised me, I was thinking more Nobel. I don't think Magnum has the reputation as a good late addition as far as what I've read but I never tried it myself.

Yea, me either - well then again, I guess we've both tried it when drinking a Hofbrau Original.

I would imagine with how high the AA are that it would be a very small dose, maybe not a huge flavor impact. I wonder if there are other benefits they are seeking from the late hops or just the subtle flavor impact.
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Brody wrote:
wobdee wrote:

Yea, me either - well then again, I guess we've both tried it when drinking a Hofbrau Original.

I would imagine with how high the AA are that it would be a very small dose, maybe not a huge flavor impact. I wonder if there are other benefits they are seeking from the late hops or just the subtle flavor impact.

Maybe just more cost effective for them. The Nobel's have such low AA nowadays I'm even looking for substitutes. I have a bunch of Liberty I want to try and also something relatively new called Merkur that is a breed of Magnum and Hallertau that comes in at 13.6 AA.
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:12 pm

8 packets of 34/70 are on the way.
Striving to brew better beer every time
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:53 pm

packets?
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:17 pm

Yup 34/70 dry yeast packets, the brew house next door wasn't using 34/70 they only make ale, no lagers. But I ordered 8 packets from (this is gonna hurt) northern brewer. So I'll have to rehydrate and start from the beginning til I build up a few generations.
Striving to brew better beer every time
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:02 pm

*sigh*
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com