Franziskaner Hefeweizen

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Cavpilot2000

Re: Franziskaner Hefeweizen

Postby Cavpilot2000 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:48 am

Ancient Abbey wrote: But then again, I've had very few that didn't taste like they were abused. Hefe seems to be delicate and not very shelf stable.

This is why I would rather brew my own German beer than buy commercial German in the 'States. It's never as good as over there, and I can do better (than most abused imported commercial examples) at home.
Besides, I get to Germany for a few weeks almost every year to visit the GF's parents, so I get my fix while there.
lindh

Postby lindh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 am

Ancient Abbey wrote:That's quite a bright color for that grist. What dose of SMB are you using?

That brew was a 55mg/l no sparge with the Braumeister. Not being able to underlet and with some dripping when raising the malt pipe I haven't dared to go lower but recently got a kilo of antioxin SBT so will be working with that aswell.

My thinking is not that smb is like bleach. Bright wort that is unoxidized has its own color and won't be brighter with a too high SMB dose. Lack of anti oxidizers and oxygen will darken but SMB won't lighten (unless compared to "normal brewing procedures".
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed May 10, 2017 3:53 am

I just stumbled across a picture I took of my wheat beer with 10% caramel malt at 50EBC (Best Karaaromatic).

IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_0595.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 252 times

Looks pretty close to the Franziskaner IMO. PS: It's delicious regardless :P
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Cavpilot2000

Postby Cavpilot2000 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:50 am

I just had a Paulaner Hefeweizen this wekend, and it's been a while since I've had it, but I was surprised at how dark it was in the glass (it was draft in the 'States).
Smellyglove

Postby Smellyglove » Fri May 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Cavpilot2000 wrote:I just had a Paulaner Hefeweizen this wekend, and it's been a while since I've had it, but I was surprised at how dark it was in the glass (it was draft in the 'States).

The Paulaners I get from my regular waterhole, vom fass, are golden. It's so sexy that I can't find words for it.