Dopplebock

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

BryanH

Dopplebock

Postby BryanH » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:18 am

A little lighter in color than Optimator or Celebrator but still a nice, deep tone. There's lots of good Munich flavor and that clean German finish.

10 Gallons US

16 lbs German dark Munich
5 lbs German Vienna
5 lbs German Pilsner
.625 lb Carafa II
.625 lb CaraAroma 120L
.625 lb CaraFoam

2.5 oz Hallertau 3.5%AA @ 90 min
.5 oz Hallertau 3.5%AA @ 20 min

WLP-838 yeast

Decoction mash 128F/148F/168F
drewsteeves

Re: Dopplebock

Postby drewsteeves » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:13 pm

Hey Bryan,

I'll be brewing a doppelbock tomorrow, do you recall how your recipe turned out? Any tips or tweaks?

Drew
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:44 pm

I have a dopplebock on tap right now. It is quite entertaining to watch peoples reactions when they taste it, bc they just stare at me, then ask me how the hell did I do make that...

For me, I stick to 18-19P. I used a 1:1 Pilsner to Munich ratio, then used 10% caramalts. IBU:OG was estimated at 0.33

45% Pilsner
45% Dark Munich
4% carared
3% caramunich III
3 % caraaroma
1/3 IBU N. Brewer @ FWH
2/3 IBU N. Brewer @ 60 min

WLP835, cold fermentation + cold secondary + time

The only thing I will change next time is to go back to Tettnanger for the FWH, but only bc I like the spiciness.
- The best do the basics better -
brewcrew7

Postby brewcrew7 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:56 am

The only dopplebock I've made I realized the importance of proper yeast management. Underattenuated and overtly fizzy in the bottle due to refermentation. Hints of the right elements were there but this was hard to get past and ruined the beer for me. It's certainly not about the recipe then set-and-forget, one has to carry the process through diligently from inception to conditioning with no missing steps in between. Only then is drinking experience worth the effort! Looks like you had a good one Abbey.
drewsteeves

Postby drewsteeves » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:12 am

Looks like a great recipe. What kind of mash schedule did you have, Ancient Abbey? How long did you lager for? I'm pitching at 2.15M/ml/P, fermenting at 8C. I'm hoping that will make it attenuate all the way.
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:50 pm

I need to get a recipe together for W Korbinian and post here. It's by far my favorite out of the notable examples.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:03 pm

Sounds good. I've switched up to the "clean peaks" method. Basically, fewer malts at higher percentages result in cleaner flavor peaks, rather than a muddy profile. Per the above recipe, I've dropped the carared and just do 5% each of caramumich and caraaroma. If it were a standard bock, I would just do one karamalt, but dopple seems to benefit from two.
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Dopplebock

Postby Big Monk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:12 pm

Given what we now know about what malts some of these Bavarian breweries are stocking, I'm going very minimalist with grain inventory.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Dopplebock

Postby Owenbräu » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:19 pm

Yeah, it's quite a contrast with where we started with "flavor loading" and trying to use everything in the Weyermann catalog. I've found clean flavor peaks work better than complex layering, and from what I read, Ayinger believes the same.
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer

Postby bjanat » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:25 pm

I've made it twice, first 65/33/2 muma/pima/carafa3, second time swapped 2% pima with Caraaroma, but didnt like what it added. Double decoction, mittelfruh bittering, 2h boil and WLP833.

Would you use regular no sparge step mash and 2h boil for a lodo version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk