Kloster Weltenburger Dunkel Recipe ideas

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: Kloster Weltenburger Dunkel Recipe ideas

Postby Bryan R » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Furthermore, the rests are 30-60 minutes at 143-145f, and 30-60 minutes at 160-162f, depending on fermentability and body of the beer you are creating.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:07 am

I've seen several folks who mash using classic german principles, then seem to end up using a lot of dextrin and cara-type malts in the recipe. For example, mashing a well modified malt (>40K) at 130-135F for 30-60 minutes, then adding 10% dextrin malt to the recipe. It seems unnecessary to break down all the proteins, then having to add a bunch of dextrin to compensate for a thin body. Horst is notorious for this in his books. My point is NOT to call anyone out, but to understand why they are doing this. Are there some fundamental reactions I'm overlooking that actually improve the beer by doing this? Are they just doing it to be traditionally/historically accurate despite having modern malts, then compensating with body-building grains?
- The best do the basics better -
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:22 pm

Carapils is not just dextrin. It spends quite a bit of time in the maltose range as well, but that depends who makes it. Bestmalz does it at the lowest range. It takes a bit longer to make. The effect is that up to 50% can be used in the grain bill (if one is so inclined).

I tend to always have a bit of it in my recipes, but that's more of an style and preference issue.

It also allows to adjust the body. With lower modified malts one has more room to play around, but they are notoriously hard to work with.

I rather use good to well modified malts given the choice. For these, a properly done hochkurz works wonders.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com