Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Sieve analysis of different mill settings

Postby Roachbrau » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:24 pm

wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Re: Sieve analysis of different mill settings

Postby wobdee » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Nice write up. I've been conditioning my grains for about a year now, it definitely makes a difference for the better and allows a finer crush with less flour.

I use to crush at .030 for my old BIAB setup and probably could of went finer but I liked my steady efficiency so just kept it there.

With my Braumeister a courser crush of around .040 was recommended but with conditioning I can keep it well below that and maintain good efficiencies.
lhommedieu

Postby lhommedieu » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:04 am

Nice write up. I've got a set of sieves and have done a similar experiment with my JP Malt Mill. I'm going to try conditioning my grain and see if I can get a higher percentage of broken husk material, as I agree that it helps with fly sparging. Following is a vid. that was posted on FB primarily for my Xingyiquan friends: the in-joke was that the second, "correct" way of changing my alignment and using my core was obviously more efficient. I wasn't quite there yet until the last two or three turns on the handle. By the time I had worked my way through 20# of grain, my top, pulling side was working just as efficiently as my bottom, pushing side.

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.lamade ... 750774777/
lhommedieu

Postby lhommedieu » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:06 pm

Tried malt conditioning over the weekend. I didn't weigh my grain out with the sieves, but it was obvious that there was a greater percentage of crushed, but not shredded husks after milling. Thank again.