Sabco Brew-Magic VM350

Making the beer

Moderator: Brandon

Brandon
German Brewing

Re: Sabco Brew-Magic VM350

Postby Brandon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:57 am

Here's to that...I brewed some Helles on Monday and love having extra.

I haven't seen discussion, I'm sure it's out there. You'll also find your beers to be 2-3 (or more) SRM lighter than non-low O2.

IMG_3767.JPG
IMG_3767.JPG (55.68 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Postby mchrispen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:17 pm

Jeez it is hot already.

Baseline brew completed. To recap, added MBS and boiled strike water to match any sodium in water profile targets. Got good measurements of DO throughout. Used my standard practices, but was far more anal about splashing, inletting under mash, etc. Of course, I got some O2 saturation, especially during sparge. I need to tighten up and/or replace TC gaskets again, as well as tighten up plumbing around the pump and RIMS.

Final knock out to fermenter read 0.97 ppm O2, and I was 6 points shy on extract with the extra volume. Still pretty happy. Amazingly pale wort, maybe too light for a munich helles. 1.041 is a bit lower than my 1.047 target (pH was spot on at 5.4, but first time using such a loose mash), but what the heck. Still should be adequately representative of a normal brew day. I was only able to chill to 75F, but it is in a CO2 sparged fermenter chilling to pitch temp at 46F. Will aerate with pure O2 to 10 ppm after pitching.

Hoping to replicate the recipe tomorrow properly following the LODO paper. The change will require me to boil in the BK and chill through to the HLT, pumping quietly. This should work, and I have a long racking tube with a TC that will allow me to pump over under the surface.
Last edited by mchrispen on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Yeah, the light color is where you get to start playing with crystal malts. They are amazing now!
- The best do the basics better -
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Can't wait to hear how it turns out tomorrow!
Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at