Keg Fill Level

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

bensonledbetter

Keg Fill Level

Postby bensonledbetter » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:09 pm

While my transfer to the keg was successful, it appears I might have overfilled the thing. I put so much liquid in it initially that it came out of the PSV in the keg lid. I pushed a smidgen out with CO2, thinking it would be enough. But now I've got a little liquid, in the form of bubbles that turn sticky when they dry, coming out of my spunding valve.

With that, have any of you developed a fool proof method for not overfilling the keg? I know I need to be a little more mindful of my volumes when racking. How full do you folks get your kegs? Does 5 gallons in a 5 gallon keg give ample space for vapors to escape from the spunding valve?
lhommedieu

Re: Keg Fill Level

Postby lhommedieu » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:57 pm

I haven't tried it yet, but Das alte mentioned attaching a hose to the "gas in" post and putting the end of the hose into a container of water. When the bubbles stop the beer is just above the "gas in" tube that comes down from the post.

I am not sure if you still need to open the PSV to continue to vent an already vented keg with CO2 coming off of the beer, and whether it's easier to transfer the beer from the fermentation chamber this way. Perhaps the transfer of CO2 down the hose into the water is enough to facilitate the transfer.

I'm going to try this soon and will report back the results.
ajk

Postby ajk » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:08 am

bensonledbetter

Postby bensonledbetter » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:33 am

This would work, but at $20 a pop it really starts to add up when you have several kegs.

https://www.ballandkeg.com/
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:41 am

Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
bensonledbetter

Postby bensonledbetter » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:50 am

Exactly my thoughts.