Single Vessel LODO Planning

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

UnsungSavior16

Re: Single Vessel LODO Planning

Postby UnsungSavior16 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:21 pm

All incredibly helpful, thank you!

I'm still leaning towards using a boil coil. Two primary concerns with it.

1. It's about 4" tall, and I can't find a false bottom that is tall enough. If the steamer basket is a pain, I'm running out of options. The heating element would work beneath the false bottom, but would obviously be much lower wattage which wouldn't be ideal.

2. Because it circles the kettle, there isn't a place for the termowell to go that is away from the heated space, which might lead to some inaccurate temps. I might just need to dial that in myself.

I did see the Mash & Boil, too small a volume. It looks awesome, but I want to stay no sparge and around 4 gallons.
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:16 pm

Reach out to Jaybird from Norcal Brewing Solutions. He does great custom false bottoms and can probably whip one up for a fair price.

I personally put my thermometer right about my pump outlet, so no matter what I am circulated (first runnings or post hop whirlpooling wort) I am always getting a constant and accurate temp. Food for thought.
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:03 am

Hi Benson, hope all is well. Need to get my hands on your Trippel one day :-)
I cannot speak for others, but I brewed a ton of beers this year and had zero problems with the steamer basket and I am not doing anything special.
It may be that they are trying to get the stainless basket and the bag at the same time... having the basket drain and splash over the mash, like in the video James Spencer did for them (maybe this is why everyone is having problems :-).
James Spencer would not be able to use the disclaimer "No beer was damaged in the making of this video" That is some serious splashing and not only non-LODO but inefficient.
BTW Also note that the High Gravity systems now have the temperature probe in the bottom part of the kettle, close to the element (no, the element does not influence the reading of the probe nor it makes it overshoot or fluctuate).

@Savior
In the HighGravity system, when I am done mashing, I just take the Brew Bag out slowly over 2 mins without splashing and put it in a coliander with a big concave bowl underneath to drain. This will give me an extra liter of wort that I can return to the beer or if doing "anal"LODO, use it for something else. Then I take the steamer out slowly and I am done. The wort was in the same container all the time, recirculated, not splashed or transferred.
The big advantage of High Gravity for me is that it comes with the Blichmann element installed. And the advantage of the Blichmann element is circular so your chiller will get to the bottom of the kettle, plus I know the controller can handle a Blichmann because it has been tested to do so.
If you do not care about the Blichmann element, Benson's advice is sound and maybe a little cheaper :-)
I placed 55 times in competitions in 2016 so, if your beer is not good it won't be because of the basket.

Good luck!!
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
UnsungSavior16

Postby UnsungSavior16 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:33 am

lupulus, really appreciate the advice. my only question is how are you dealing with the headspace in the kettle since the lid on a high gravity system doesn't sit on the mash, and if it did then it would need to be inside the basket and there would be exposure on the sides? Do you just let the SMB handle it?

My two major considerations right now are buying a High Gravity system, and making the system I planned out earlier but with two 1500W Ultra Low Watt Density elements.
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:47 am

There is no premade system with a lid that sits on the mash (that I know of). You will need to make one.
The HighGravity system does not prevent you from using any of the mash cap solutions that are in this forum or in the LODO website. Indeed you will have a slightly tighter fit if you do not have the basket (as the small area between the basket and the kettle will not be covered by the cap) but other than that, it is the same.
Do keep in mind that BIAB has no transfers, so you are saving oxygen exposure during transfer vs a two-tier system (unless they transfer under nitrogen).
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:24 pm

I've been using the 3.5kw induction plates (manual control) from Hendi successfully for well over 5 years now. Very simple to control via external PID units from Omega.

Here is an (old) picture of my gear where you can see them rather well.

IMG_0741.JPG
IMG_0741.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 4097 times
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Induction plates are a neat solution and very common in Germany, and probably other 220-240v countries. Have not seen them much in the US but most likely because I have not looked :-)
Nice setup !!
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:48 pm

Lupulus, I recognise your signature from the Hobbybrauer forums :)

I am from Munich but I'm an expat working in the UK (did my degree in London).

If you are on the same forum, then the Hendi plates should not surprise you since I got that inspiration from there when the board was still 'yellow'

Herzlichst, Bierdimpfl
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:36 pm

@WeizenBerg
Where are you in the UK?
Be in Manchester in Jan Feb for work.
Do you often go back to Munich?
Do you know any of the brewers in the monthly Stammtisch?
BTW my German is not great as I worked in English and my German friends were kind to speak to me in English.
Prost
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Based in Manchester (mostly) and in London (family).

But my uncles and cousins are all in Munich and Teegernsee. So I'm there every now and then. It's not a long flight. 80 minutes. I was born and grew up in Munich, but stayed in the UK after my studies.

No, I never attended the Stammtisch. Where is it? Maybe I'll turn up one day :D

Best