Single Vessel LODO Planning

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

Techbrau
German Brewing

Re: Single Vessel LODO Planning

Postby Techbrau » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:49 pm

Several people who have tried it both ways (preboil vs yeast) have anecdotally reported that the yeast method imparts a slightly "dirty" taste to the wort with a little less fresh malt flavor. Try it both ways and see what you like.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:31 pm

I take this info from good advice. Unfortunately I cannot explain because it's beyond my competence. Ancient Abbey might, but that's not my area of expertise.

If you dig in the German hobbybrauer forums (the old, yellow one), there were some pros explaining exactly why dead yeast in the mash isn't a good idea. So I just heed that advice. Adding spent yeast to the mash was discussed there once, believe it or not.

Of course, nothing will stop you from doing this. After all it's your drink and you are the main consumer. So put into it whatever you like.

For my part, I am happy to heed the advice of people who most certainly know better.

(PS: IIRC it has something to do with lipids in the mash)
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:37 pm

I don't mean to press, Weizen. I am very curious about the science and the do's and don'ts of lodo.

I am just planning on applying these methods to a 10-15 bbl brewing system in the next 1-2 years. Pre-Boiling just doesn't seem to be like a reasonable cost (cost of fuel to heat up and boil for a few minutes, then cool). I am still open to the idea, but I just think that yeast scavenging seems to be a good solution for a system too large to pre-boil and too small to have an oxygen scrubbing water system.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:04 pm

For that size it's probably best to consider a proper water treatment plant in the first place. Degassing water is a de-facto standard in the ink and petro-chemical industry, so there are solutions about world-wide. You'll probably settle for a packet column or a membrane contactor (I'd opt for the latter).

I really wouldn't recommend degassing water with yeast. If that would be such a good (and cheap) idea, then all breweries would do that. Alas, none do. So that's something to consider. You might be able to filter the yeast out, but that could introduce more oxygen in return.

Nowadays I'd most likely opt for a membrane contactor. Looks like you have Kunze's book. There is a nice illustration in there :)
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer

Postby bjanat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:07 pm

I wonder what this would cost http://www.alfalaval.com/globalassets/d ... weries.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:29 pm

It looks like a fancy CIP ball that can handle CO2/Water mixtures.

Cool video here: http://www.alfalaval.com/rotaryjetmixer

I am curious if you could do something like that just at home.
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:15 pm

Thats assuming that all the breweries already thought of the yeast DO method and dismissed it. Seems some are wary of the method and I get that but The words "try it, see for yourself" apply here also.
Last edited by Bilsch on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:22 pm

I am actually really interested in the whirlpool thing that bjanat posted. I have a pump manifold, so it should be easy enough to tack on a Carb stone on the whirlpool intlet. When heating strike water you could recirc it through the pump> carb stone port> cip ball or sprayer. Easy and cheap solution. We all have CO2 that is cheap enough.

I am going to play with it and see if I can get any results
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:12 pm

I've been doing the yeast/sugar and pre-boil interchangeably lately haven't noticed a difference personally.
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:24 am

I use both boil and yeast myself alternately and do not see a difference either but the jury is still out until many more tests are done. It may well turn out that boiling is better but until testing is done to say one way or the other, I think dismissing it without having tried it might be doing a disservice to fellow brewers.