Bubbles in the Membrane for Extech DO600

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Bubbles in the Membrane for Extech DO600

Postby caedus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Hey there. As the title says I am having some issues with bubbles in the membrane of my DO meter. I follow the instructions for refilling and replacing the membrane according to manufacturer's recommendation, but I still get one giant bubble in there.

I make sure to fill it without any bubbles, so when the probe goes in it looks fine, then I screw it down and it overflows just like the instructions say. Then I flip it upside down and boom. Huge bubble.

Any thoughts, or have you guys found any solutions to this? I am going to try filling the membrane all the way up and try screwing it down like that.
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Re: Bubbles in the Membrane for Extech DO600

Postby Bilsch » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:08 pm

I just recently replaced my membrane cap and didn't have any troubles with bubbles. I filled as instructed and dipped the probe repeatedly to dislodge air pockets and in one slow motion put it all the way in place. It will overflow as you do this. Mine seems to develop small bubbles durning storage for long periods.
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:50 pm

Huh, I follow exactly what you describe, but its like a bubble gets trapped on the base of the probe, and its brought down into the solution.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:44 am

I only get the bubbles if I put the probe in liquids near its thermal maximum. Once a membrane is heated and stretched, you might as well throw it away.
- The best do the basics better -