Today's brew

IMG_4827.JPG
IMG_4827.JPG (2.63 MiB) Viewed 443 times
- The best do the basics better -
Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: Why are you using a DO meter

Postby Bryan R » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:06 am

I am much lower on my dough in with a soft underlet, co2/n2 grist purge/ system purge and SG. I am down to sub 10ppm consumption of total sulfites for the entire brew session. I get too much sulfur with even 20ppm sulfites now. Slowly making my way to the goal of 0!
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:30 am

Ancient Abbey wrote:Today's brew

IMG_4827.JPG

Awesome. If anything, after appears a bit darker. I assume your interpretation is that they are about the same and not much sulfites were consumed.
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Why are you using a DO meter

Postby Ancient Abbey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:41 am

I think it's just that one was dipped in strike water and the other dipped in wort, plus the early one had mostly dried and the other was minutes old. I think they are the same. This is also mash concentration, and I sparge. The levels will be reduce in the final volume of the wort.
- The best do the basics better -
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks Abbey!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:04 am

lindh wrote:I just bought the Milwakuee DO meter and it only measures up to 30c so I will not stick it directly in the mash. And also for an accurate reading, you're supposed to keep the liquid in motion. I'm not sure how to utilize the DO meter yet but curios to be able to see where in my process oxygen is induced, even if the reading is not accurate it will still indicate potential problems.

Don't waste your DO meter by overheating. After all, it's primary function is to determine correct aeration for wort during fermentation.

As far as SMB values are concerned, one can adjust downwards over time, or use values reported by members here. I would say around 40 mgl is a good starting point.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:10 pm

IMG_6155.JPG
IMG_6155.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 395 times
I'm in the midst of a helles brew day at the moment. Lately something that's been on my mind is how much more aggressive is a single vessel BIAB style lauter and dough in than a duel vessel/pumped/underlet setup.

For dough in I use a stainless steel scoop and take my time gently adding the grain to the kettle.
For lautering I get up on a chair and very slowly lift the bag out. There is some light dripping of course during the final hoist.

I just pulled a sample pre-boil for taste, pH, and gravity and decided to stick my freshly calibrated extech DO meter in it. It stablized at 0.31mg/l (post lauter and jostled around a bit).

You guys tell me - does this allow me to conclude that, while it's a pain in the ass to do gently, a careful single vessel lauter does not introduce a detrimental amount of O2? Or are these meters suspect enough at low levels that I can't conclude anything?
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Check your manual. These meters have an accuracy of 0.5 mgl. So, 0.3 + 0.5 = 0.8 < 1.0

Looks like you are fine.

PS:. For what it's worth, I've build a HERMS system to see what all this is about. I must say that I don't like it much. Arguably I am a noobie with this setup, but the complexity involved and the potential shear stresses, didn't give me that Eureka, this is it feeling. I reckon I made better wort with less fuss using agitation and no-sparge. Something you might want to consider.

Decent agitators are available off shelve and a 12V motor with the relevant torque is 1/3 the price for that extra pump.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Nico, when you have a few mins, can you describe the parts of your agitator? No hurry. One day, I would like to check how it works compared to recirculation.
Cheers,
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:40 pm

Brody wrote:
IMG_6155.JPG
I'm in the midst of a helles brew day at the moment. Lately something that's been on my mind is how much more aggressive is a single vessel BIAB style lauter and dough in than a duel vessel/pumped/underlet setup.

For dough in I use a stainless steel scoop and take my time gently adding the grain to the kettle.
For lautering I get up on a chair and very slowly lift the bag out. There is some light dripping of course during the final hoist.

I just pulled a sample pre-boil for taste, pH, and gravity and decided to stick my freshly calibrated extech DO meter in it. It stablized at 0.31mg/l (post lauter and jostled around a bit).

You guys tell me - does this allow me to conclude that, while it's a pain in the ass to do gently, a careful single vessel lauter does not introduce a detrimental amount of O2? Or are these meters suspect enough at low levels that I can't conclude anything?

I'd say it's decently accurate and good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk