Speidel Braumeister

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Speidel Braumeister

Postby wobdee » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:38 pm

Here's my new toy. Received a good deal from a guy over on HBT. It's a 2011 model but hasn't been used much. I've always had an eye on these but could never pull the trigger because of cost. The wife gave me the green light so I went for it.

I played around with it last night and ran into a problem, the pump was making a rattling noise as the water heated up over 60°c then really got bad and stopped pumping above 70° where I had to shut it down. Took it apart and the impeller looked fine. Ran it through the steps a couple more times and the same thing happens. Called More Beer this morning and ordered a new $200 pump! So much for my good deal! Oh well, still happy that I have it.

Hmm, can't post a pic, I'll try later
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Re: Speidel Braumeister

Postby wobdee » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:51 am

Try again
Attachments
IMG_20151016_131900.jpg
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:03 am

GAHHH. so you had to order a new pump!

How were the heating times? I assume is 120v 20 amp?

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:06 pm

It's 220v, 2000w, already had the outlet for my induction burner but had to replace the Euro style power cord.

Heating times varied, I did water tests with different volumes but I'd say anywhere from 40-60 sec for every 1°c. The pump also takes a 1-2 min rest every so often during the mash cycle so it may be a little slower than that.
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:44 am

I removed and cleaned out all the plumbing to the pump, the fittings were a little dirty and had some old broke down Teflon tape that needed replacement. I put it all back together and did another test run. The flow seemed stronger and the noise is less but still there. I can fiddle around with the tightness of the pump where it fits into the plumbing and the tighter it is the more noise. Only problem is it will leak if too loose. I'm thinking maybe I just need a new gasket.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:37 am

Cool lets us know how you make out!

wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:25 pm

First brew today, Bo Pils. Ran into a couple problems. The pump was chattering a bit during mashing but if I turn it on and off it stopped and resumed pumping. I think I may of had some grain going through the pump screwing with the impeller, I can fix that.

Also found if I want to do 3 gal batches which I do, I need to start with at least 6 gal of water to cover the heating elements while its recirculating. So now I will either have to boil every batch for 2 hours or modify the malt pipe. I usually do a 90 min boil so an extra half hour isn't a big deal I guess.

Also had a boil over because I was paying more attention to football!

Good things I noticed. Super clear wort! I've never seen it so clear before.

I can use the pump for chilling with my IC. Takes 10 min to get from boiling down to lower 50's.

Less trub into fermenter. My old BIAB rig had too much, this is much better especially for harvesting slurry.

So far I like it, just need to work out a few bugs.
Attachments
IMG_20151025_125935.jpg
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:08 pm

Nice! do you think the pump is cavetating? Do you turn on and off the pump a few times just after adding water to make sure all the bubbles are out?

Some nice looking wort! did it get cloudy after lifting the malt pipe?

What were the heating times?

Cheers

wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:04 pm

wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Ordered a new impeller from Morebeer and they sent the wrong one. Just received the right one today and tested it. It seems better even a bit stronger but still makes a slight rattling sound.

Could of used it yesterday, had to brew with the original impeller and the same problem as before but I fought through it and made a nice Czech Amber.

Something I've noticed about this system besides the ultra clear wort is hardly any hot break. My old BIAB system always had a big brown scum developed right before the boil that I'd always skim but the BM is just a little almost pure white foam, barely enough to skim.

I also need to strain out some grains that sneak through after pulling the malt pipe. I strained out about 1/4 cup prior to boil. Some guys are doing mods to eliminate this, not sure I want to try any mods yet.