My experiences with LODO brewing

Making the beer

Moderator: Brandon

Brandon
German Brewing

Re: My experiences with LODO brewing

Postby Brandon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:02 pm

Bilsch wrote:Brandon.. thanks for the info. I assume since everyone's mashing system is different, each brewer has had to tune the initial sulfite dose to suit his equipment. I'm trying to tune my SMB addition by taste of the finished beer but I should probably just get the sulfite strips and see what is actually going on.

Agreed. I have made significant strides in the past month on cutting down on O2, and have slightly dialed back SMB use. Yes, checking against strips will help you troubleshoot in-beer levels. (which it appears can be surprisingly high in commercial examples...at least for what I'd have expected).
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:53 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed that fermentation isn't quite as easy LoDo as it was in my HiDO years. I've had to really step up my yeast management and fermentation techniques.
It's almost as if oxidized malt is a yeast nutrient.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:25 am

Bilsch wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed that fermentation isn't quite as easy LoDo as it was in my HiDO years. I've had to really step up my yeast management and fermentation techniques.
It's almost as if oxidized malt is a yeast nutrient.

I completely agree. Well, before lodo I would brew a batch and ferment it out and it really didn't make a difference, the beer tasted pretty much the same as long as the fermentation was successful. Now, doing those warmer fermentations with lodo, fermentation flaws stand out like a sore thumb.

The malt is so much smoother that any hot alcohols or fermentation issues are dead obvious and kill the beer.