Efficiency

Making the beer

Moderator: Brandon

narcout

Re: Efficiency

Postby narcout » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:35 pm

I brewed my last two batches no sparge to see what the hit to efficiency would be. The first beer was a 10 lb. grain bill with 1 lb. of cane sugar (Belgian Pale). I mashed with the entire water volume, and efficiency was 76%. The second beer was an 11 lb. 10 oz. grain bill. I mashed in at 1.5 quarts/lb. and then added the "sparge" water at the end of the mash prior to recirculating and draining to the kettle. Efficiency was 69%.

My typical efficiency on a batch sparge is 80%.

The Belgian Pale came out really well. The second beer (APA) is still fermenting.
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:49 pm

According to Brewers Friend lately I'm getting pretty consistent 78% brewhouse eff + or - a point or two. This is full volume no sparge with a Braumeister. Conversion eff is upper 90's.
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer

Postby bjanat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:29 am

I got a 66% brew house efficiency in brewers friend, with 50 liter braumeister, 65 liter no sparge and 11kg of malt. Relatively fine crush, but didn't measure, and conditioned with 2% water before milling. Need to get a ph meter, it might have have been outside the ideal range, the paper strips aren't good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:08 am

I think that so long as conversion efficiency is high and the gravity doesn't exist at one of the polar extremes that mash efficiency should be pretty solid.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com