Looking for inspiration on Brewstand

Making the beer

Moderator: Brandon

caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Looking for inspiration on Brewstand

Postby caedus » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:34 pm

Hey, its been awhile since I have posted or done much of anything brewing related. I am rebuilding my brewing system right now for convenience and for the sake of a challenge, all while trying to maintain lodo considerations in the back of my mind.

The current plan is to get a stainless steel kitchen work table and chop two giant holes in it to fit my 10 gallon kettles (one mash tun, one BK). Probably will use a plasma cutter for this, but I am open to playing with a few different tools.

The system will be direct fire propane for ease of use and so I don't have to pay someone to put in a 220 volt. The kettles will sit on propane burners and the tops will pop out an inch or so above the work table, allowing me to use it as a staging table also. I saw this i on google a long time ago and have been wanting to do something similar for a long time.

I guess the point of this post is to encourage people to show pictures of their brewing systems. I want to see how you guys have solved problems in their designs.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Re: Looking for inspiration on Brewstand

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Im Building this right now (WIP)

IMG_1168.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG (656.87 KiB) Viewed 6396 times

The pump is stainless throughout. Speed is controlled via a VFD (frequency inverter).

The system supports no-sparge, sparge, maltase mash, step mash and the good old British reverse infusion.

Water can be boiled and re-circulated through HE and thus made available at the right temperature for dough in or extra water for the maltase mash. It would also support step infusions no problem.

Vessels are direct heated with 3.5kw commercial induction plates. Temperature is controlled via PID controllers (1/4 DIN) sporting 32 programmable segments. Thermoprobes are j-type and pt100z

With one (bi-directional flow) pump it is possible to transfer liquids from any vessel to any vessel (except from whirlpool to mash tun - makes no sense).

IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG (413.39 KiB) Viewed 6396 times

I don't recirculate. Instead I agitate the grain via a 30W DC motor on a variable speed controller (not a potentiometer).

From the whirlpool the wort is re-circulated via the HE until the probe shows that the temperature is equal to the temperature of the water used for the HE. At this stage a flick on the 3-way valve redirects the flow via the Maxi310 - which has an ice bank large enough to bring the wort to 5-6C immediately. This goes straight into a conical fermenter from thereon.

Hope you find it interesting.
Attachments
IMG_1161.JPG
IMG_1161.JPG (2.39 MiB) Viewed 6396 times
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:45 pm

That was far more than interesting. I am interested in that bi-directional pump and the mash stirrer.

Mind going into more detail about those? I am thinking about trying to set up some sort of mash rake, not totally sure how I should go about it with LODO in mind.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:54 pm

Here is the pump.

https://www.pumpen-peters.de/products/W ... /407/1451/

http://www.roverpompe.com/en/prodotti/a ... i-max-95-c

i don't understand what your problem re agitator setup and oxygen control is, What is it that troubles you?
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:43 pm

How do you manage temp control with the induction burners? From what I understand they are difficult to wire a controller into for safety measures (resets the on switch when power is disconnected).

I think I am going to go the induction way, it seems easier and cheaper than electric elements.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Temp control? Industrial PID controller and SSR.

Pretty straight forward. I had to tune them manually though. It'll be something like 0.5, 2800, 3 (PID) because the plates lag a bit.

Mine a are simply connected to the mains. I use the commercial 3.5kw plates from Hendi (manual plates)

For years I did the temperature manually though. I'm just getting lazy nowadays.

A recirculation system is also a nice option.

Mashing doesn't matter as much as people think. 80% is fixed by the maltster, all we do is finish what he started. Pick your malt carefully.

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 6360 times
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:21 pm

So the plates are able to be controlled by a PID?

I was under the impression that they have an auto-off function where when the PID or temp controller stops power to the plate, the plate will turn back on without the plate emitting heat.

How did you bypass this function, or what should i look for in a plate to not have to deal with that?
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:33 am

I just plug them in. Like a radio or a lamp. No modification necessary.

Keep it simple.
storunner13

Postby storunner13 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:43 am

Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:47 am

I have successfully used an induction plate with a PID in my MDU( mobile decoction unit).

-German Brewing Founder- :tu