First LODO helles

Making the beer

Moderator: Brandon

bjanat
Apprentice Brewer

Re: First LODO helles

Postby bjanat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks for the tip. Expensive, though. Would this one be good, from the same site? https://www.polsinelli.it/en/electric-p ... l-m-P2.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Nope. You really want a stainless head and you would most likely need a VFD since these usually spin at 2850 RPM.

The Novax B + VFD combo I pointed out earlier on, is hard to beat in price.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:34 pm

If you don't have 3 phase power you can get a vfd that will produce 3ph from the single phase, I think it's known as a tosvert. It's not a true signwave but your pump motor won't care. Generally you have to purchase the vfd one size larger then your motor calls for but hey it's only more money. I have a lowly chugger pump for recirculating with a valve to control the flow. It seems to work fine but maybe it's doing something evil to the wort I'm not aware of.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Of course, a chugger or march pump will do. The 'evil' bits would be shear stress and oxygen intake. If you don't care about these, then that extra little inch wont matter much. Pumps in this configuration (they exist in single phase too btw), are much better to work with too. It depends. Guess it's a choice between some car make and a BMW -- to paraphrase this.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:02 pm

I definitely agree on the shear stress part but what is the pathway for greater oxygenation when using a chugger? I believe both of theses types of pumps are sealless so I'm wondering where more O2 gets in. Also totally agree that a beemer is better then a pinto but if your walking now the ford looks pretty good.
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:19 pm

I would imagine having to detach the quick connects and reconnect to recirc or flow back into the kettle after mashing would introduce stupid amounts of oxygen. Not exactly the pump, just the connections included in a 1-way pump. I just finished a system which has a closed pump manifold and its far more efficient than I realized. I used 50ppm SO2 and I still had ~25ppm SO2 left after the entire process.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:48 am

A proper pump and plumbing are worth the time and effort. Nice work on checking sulfite consumption.
- The best do the basics better -