The current thinking on Sulfites, G-Tannins, AA and scavenging

Making the beer

Moderator: Brandon

Cavpilot2000

The current thinking on Sulfites, G-Tannins, AA and scavenging

Postby Cavpilot2000 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:19 pm

So I'm starting to see references on here about using a mix (50/50 IIRC) of NaMeta and KMeta as the sulfite component of the Trifecta (and variants thereof) instead of just sticking to NaMeta. Is this in an effort to reduce the sodium contribution? The sodium contribution seems too trivial to really worry about it. Does the potassium add anything, because early on in the process, everyone was all about use NaMeta, not Kmeta.

I understand evolution of the process, but I don't think there has been a narrative written down of that evolution and where best practices currently stand. You have to scan dozens of diferent threads to pick up tidbits that pop up here and there. Of course, each brewer's system will dictate its own version, and everyone will have theories and opinions, but as a newbie trying to get up to speed and dial in my own processes, I am keenly interested in taking the shortcut of standing on the shoulders of giants. So can one of you guys who has been doing this a while and who has done the experiments catch us newbies up on the current science?

It looks like we started with NaMeta (don't use KMeta).
Then went to Antioxin SBT, which brought gallotannins and AA into play.
Then we went to home-brewed Antioxin blends (the Trifecta), preferring 45/45/10 of NaMeta/AA/BTB.
Now some are dropping AA, some are experimenting with different amounts of BTB, and it seems some are now embracing KMeta.

What are you guys on the front lines doing and why?
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Re: The current thinking on Sulfites, G-Tannins, AA and scavenging

Postby Owenbräu » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Maybe you are thinking of the progression over at LOB?
- The best do the basics better -
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:15 pm

In the early days i spent a lot of time translating texts from Narziß to the group in live chats.

There was a section in "Abriss" where it was mentioned that more than 10mgl of potassium is not desirable in the wort. It was from that moment on where everyone started switching to NaMeta.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Everyone seems to have a preference based on what they are brewing. SBT is a fixed ratio and the percentages seem to have spawned a DIY version using the available chemicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:58 pm

My opinion is that it's important to tune the treatment to the water source. If you have any potential for metals to come through in your source water then I think g-tannin will help you.

The best beers I've made so far used 30 mg/l each SMB + Brewtan B.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Cavpilot2000

Postby Cavpilot2000 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:07 am

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 am

We were testing SMB, AA and BB long before Antioxin SBT was presented here. Antiox C was the first "blend" explored, but it never took off. We first used AA in the finished beer, not the mash, and the results were not favorable. I began testing it in the mash and found it to be an effective compliment to SMB, especially when making ales. However, given differences in scavenging efficiencies between SMB and AA, they do not perform equally at the same concentration. So, different ratios were explored for different styles. I find using exclusively SMB, up to a 2:1 SMB:AA, is really nice for lagers. For ales, I like 2-3x more AA than SMB, just be watchful of the pH drop due to using AA. To me, BB use is constant regardless of style and the main decision is whether you want to add it to the mash, the boil or both.

Regardless of how or why, Antioxin SBT is probably a fine product, and is likely the best "all-in-one" product out there. Some claim that Antiox C and Antioxin SB are the same product, but the ratios of SMB to AA are not disclosed by Antiox C. The MSDS confirms they have the same chemicals though.

I will add, from personal experience, that you want to be very careful of your sulfate levels when using SMB, bc the yeast will generate sulfur dioxide from free sulfate. You can get a sulfur (matches) bomb even when only using 15-25mg/l of SMB.
- The best do the basics better -
Cavpilot2000

Postby Cavpilot2000 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:45 am

lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:51 pm

Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:50 pm

I'll try and get you the exact quote and a copy of the page once I return from France.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com