Honey flavor

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Honey flavor

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:38 am

I see conflicting reports on honey flavor, even between members on this forum, let alone with other sources. George Fix claimed 2,3-pentanedione is a natural yeast byproduct that likens to honey and is part of the VDK complex. Several have claimed that honey flavor is a product of oxidation and staling of finished beer. Many German maltsters pride themselves on producing honey flavors and aromas in some of their malts. Some here have written that honey flavor is wrong for a German helles, and some here have written that you must use certain malts to ensure you get that honey flavor. I totally get that all these conversations and postings happened over time, and we learn as we go. However, I am curious what the consensus is now....

Is honey part of the flavor profile of a great German helles? Do we strive to produce it, or avoid it?
- The best do the basics better -
Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: Honey flavor

Postby Bryan R » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:47 am

Honey in wort, no honey in beer.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Kit_B
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Kit_B » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:39 am

There is a distinct difference between the honey flavors of old, crappy, poorly treated beer that tastes stale & a fresh flavor that is honey-like, due to its resemblance to a field of flowers & grain.
We are talking about 2 different flavors & situations.
Unfortunately, we have not been able to easily put our definitions into words.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:48 am

Are we talking about the same chemical compound for honey, just in different malt contexts. That is, the honey is always the same, but the malt may be fresh and aromatic vs old and stale. Or, are there multiple compounds that we detect as honey?
Kit_B
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Kit_B » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:26 pm

I'm not a chemist of any kind & I don't know what all the compounds are that mimic a honey-like flavor.
But, I know the difference between the fresh honey-like flavor & aroma that I get in really, really good wort & the crappy honey that I get from a poorly treated bottle of helles.
The only real way to fully understand what I'm saying is to physically compare those 2.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:21 am

Malto-meal and honey, maybe wildflower honey when hops are present(grain dependent). Fresh grain in finished beer.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:05 pm

The good honey starts strong and fades away over time. The bad honey doesn't appear until the finished product, and grows stronger with time. I don't know much about chemistry, or whether the same compound is responsible, but that's the difference to me.

I think good honey is just some form of malt sugar. Bad honey is the product of oxidation. Good honey is elusive and desirable, bad honey is a symptom of poor handling or age.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:44 pm

Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:58 am

Germans visiting Bavaria always comment positively how fresh the beer is.

Surprisingly, there is a lot of room for manoeuvre with Bavarian Helles as far as flavour development goes.

The most boring example of this style is the Munich type. Venturing further into Oberbayern or taking the plunge into Niederbayern you'll get to see hugely interesting- and much better tasting examples ;)

Must be difficult to make something which is very far away and not easy to come by.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:15 am