wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Bamberg article

Postby wobdee » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:51 pm

Brody
Assistant Brewer

Re: Bamberg article

Postby Brody » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:48 am

Nice article, didn't know that Weyerman served their own beers, pretty cool.
ajk

Bamberg article

Postby ajk » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:49 pm

When I was there they had an IPA on! Also, a tasty Rauchbier. I noticed the recipe in a notebook they left lying open: 60% Munich I, 37% rauchmalt, 1.5% Carafa II Special, and 1.5% Sinamar. I was surprised because I thought Sinamar was just Carafa II Special extract. But the brewer there said Sinamar actually has less flavor. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:37 pm

When I toured Weyermann, I had the IPA...they seemed to think, "American...he's going to want the IPA", or they were excited to have an American trying their IPA. Either way, whatever, I don't drink IPAs. :) But it was a cool tour.
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:23 pm

Proud of American's trying their IPA, and we are trying to brew Franconian and Bavarian beers. The world is upside down ;)
- The best do the basics better -
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:26 pm

ask wrote:... a tasty Rauchbier. I noticed the recipe in a notebook they left lying open: 60% Munich I, 37% rauchmalt, 1.5% Carafa II Special, and 1.5% Sinamar.

Hmmmm..... only 37% rauchmalt. Seems low. Was it smoky? Meaty? What kind of smoked meat did it remind you of?
ajk

Postby ajk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:11 am

Ancient Abbey wrote:
ask wrote:... a tasty Rauchbier. I noticed the recipe in a notebook they left lying open: 60% Munich I, 37% rauchmalt, 1.5% Carafa II Special, and 1.5% Sinamar.

Hmmmm..... only 37% rauchmalt. Seems low. Was it smoky? Meaty? What kind of smoked meat did it remind you of?

Rauchmalts lose their smokiness at an alarming rate, but of course what they were using was as fresh as it gets. So that's why the percentage was so low.

It wasn't very meaty (the best and freshest examples aren't, imo), but if I had to pick, I'd say bacon.
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:48 am

Interesting, I've made four lodo rauchbiers now, and they all have a different meat flavor with different amounts of rauchmalt. At 50%, it comes across as bacon, at 66% like smoked ham, at 75% like a smoked boston butt and at 90% it tastes like seared steak. The last one really surprised me, but so far a handful of people have come over to try it. With me suggesting any flavors, they all said it reminded them of steak. Based on the commercial beers we get here, I am curious if Schlenkerla brews lodo.
ajk

Postby ajk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:35 am

Ancient Abbey wrote:Interesting, I've made four lodo rauchbiers now, and they all have a different meat flavor with different amounts of rauchmalt. At 50%, it comes across as bacon, at 66% like smoked ham, at 75% like a smoked boston butt and at 90% it tastes like seared steak. The last one really surprised me, but so far a handful of people have come over to try it. With me suggesting any flavors, they all said it reminded them of steak. Based on the commercial beers we get here, I am curious if Schlenkerla brews lodo.

Based in how fragile the beer is, I'm almost certain they don't. It tastes completely different here than it does fresh. But then I believe rauchmalt and the flavors and aromas it produces are more susceptible to the ill effects of oxidation than any other malt.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:43 am

Anecdotally, I recently bought a smoker (just a small guy, not the fancy rigs) and there's a sufficient difference between meat in the smoker, fresh off the smoker, and after a day in the fridge. It still is tasty and becomes more of an integrated flavor component, but those immediate fresh smoke notes are fleeting.